It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Maintenance message when servers are down / under maintenance (IHS)

Ron Janssen (214) | asked Mar 01 '21, 5:44 a.m.

We have a distributed CLM topology where IHS acts as reverse proxy.

Distributed environment, CLM 606.1, iFix014, CM enabled
Server 1: IHS
Server 2: JTS, CCM, GC, LDX, RS
Server 3: RM
Server 4: DCC, RELM
Server 5: LQE

To route the different CLM applications, there are 4 URI-groups in the plugin-cfg.xml.

When would like to have a maintenance message when servers are down / under maintenance.
So normal users are rerouted to a maint.html, and only calls from server or admin users are routed to the CLM apps.

It would even be more ideal when "maintenance mode" would be enabled by the existance of a file "maintenance.lock" or something like that.

Can this be achieved? Any help is welcome.

Ron

Comments
Ron Janssen commented Mar 01 '21, 5:47 a.m.

On of the reasons is that we need to block users from accessing RM while the backlog is still being processed. 

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 01 '21, 8:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am not an IHS nor a proxy expert. You would have to check if there is a dynamic redirect option for specific IP's. You could then redirect anything that comes from an IP address that is not one of the servers to the announcement page. 

I remember that a colleague had looked into HAProxy and its capabilities to limit load on a server by strategies such as block or redirect. It might be more configurable than IHS (keep in mind, I barely know IHS and HAProxy only a little bit better).

Ron Janssen commented Mar 03 '21, 2:52 a.m.

Thanks Ralph,

My IHS knowledge is very sparse. I think I need to dig a lot deeper into IHS first.
As IHS is not user aware of course, redirection based on IP can be a useful solution to look at.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 03 '21, 6:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

My approach would be to try to use the knowledge about the IP addresses of the other servers and to redirect everything else.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.