It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

is RTC the right tool for Resource Management ?

vijayakumar ramesh (1173660) | asked Mar 06 '20, 8:12 a.m.
edited Mar 06 '20, 8:17 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Use Case : Project Manager (resource) has 1..n number of Team members who works in different projects which runs in different time line.  This project Manager wants to have view on his team members to know their capacity usage/conflict etc.
Is there a possibility to create plan view or gannchart in RTC tool.?

My observations : Plan view can be created only when we have time line for one Team not across  multiple Time lines/multiple Teams.

Solution : To find list of list of Tasks assigned for 1..n Team members and may be import to MS Project for resource planning would be idea.

If any body has any other idea for this Use please let me know.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 09 '20, 5:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is no simple answer to this question. I am not a resource manager. My answer would be that resource management is not a development focus for RTC. There are two basic different schedulers. The traditional planning scheduler and the agile scheduler that work very differently.

The agile scheduler supports allocating a resource based on a percentage of their available work time that is allocated to a project and/or team area. A user with 25% allocation to a team area would have 10 hours available per week. The plans for the corresponding team area and timeline will account the user as 25% available. A task that is planned to take a day will show as 4 days in the plan. The user can have a percentage associated to several team areas.

The traditional scheduler allows block allocation for users. I have not worked with it a lot. I remember I was not thrilled about the usability when I looked at it. It is likely easier to work with a percentage allocation.

permanent link
Chidambaram L (23414077) | answered Mar 09 '20, 9:25 a.m.
Plans are completely configurable.

You can try heirarchy of timelime. Top most is the organization's timeline. next level Timeline (called Iteration) is Program level. Multiple programs share one resource. next level is release & then iteration / sprint level. Team Areas are mapped to Release level. Creating a Plan for Organization level timeline will show tasks for all levels of child timeline also; in the Org level timeline create a Gantt Chart to show the details of the particular resource only.

Comments
vijayakumar ramesh commented Mar 13 '20, 11:08 a.m.

Team areas cannot be assigned to iteration, whole idea fails.

Chidambaram L commented Mar 15 '20, 6:00 a.m.

To create a plan, you need to choose Team Area & Iteration. This is how Team Area is associated with Iteration. Create a Plan for Project Area & higher level Iteration / Release. Roll-Up feature of RTC would show all tasks in child iterations also. Change the display options of the Plan View to show by Resources.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.