It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

User cannot modify work item: Permission Denied. You don't have permission to perform the following actions: modify/state.

Hanna Hrekava (91) | asked Oct 10 '19, 7:20 a.m.
Let's assume user has role Member inside team area named Team Area. This role has the lowest level of permissions in Project Area. Team Area inherits all permission from parent scope. It mean that Member must be able to do the same things under category associated with Team Area.
But when Member choose category Team Area (where he is still Member) in attribte associated with Category for workitem and tries to save, he gets next error message:
Permission Denied. You don't have permission to perform the following actions:
modify/state.
Usually such kind of message means that you are not allowed to modify the attribute or whatever what's after "modify/". But the attribute associated with category is allowed to be modified by Member. There are no permissions to configure access to state, only permissions to trigger actions - but when user changes Category, status and state are not changed.
I tried to find something on forum and other sources regarding this specific error message and permission "modify/state", but did not find anything. Maybe someone can help me to solve this or suggest where to dig further.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 10 '19, 10:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You want to read Process permissions lookup in Rational Team Concert 2.0 to understand how permissions work. E.g. Permissions are not "inherited". Permissions depend on the permissions in the area the item is owned by. So if you try to modify a work item owned by a area and the user has no role there, the default role applies. If that does not have the permission needed, the save would fail. If the user is Member on Project Area level and has no explicit role in the team area, I think the effective role for a work item owned by the team area would be everyone. Please check the link.

modify/state means, I think, change the workflow state. It would be possible that thisis only the first of a number of missing permissions.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.