It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Update Rational Quality Manager test cases to use different test script

Paul Sandie (38911) | asked Aug 27 '18, 12:29 p.m.
We have an RQM project that has hundreds of test cases using one Rational Functional Tester test script. I want to update those cases to instead use a specific Command Line test script instead. It appears I can't edit the Rational Functional Tester test script to change it into a Command Line one. Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Failing that I'd have to programatically update the individual test cases, maybe via the rest api which I have no experience of. Has anybody any experience of doing that ?

We're using Rational Quality Manager 4.0.6

One answer

permanent link
Vijay Patil (4813) | answered Aug 28 '18, 4:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Paul,

Once the test script is created, you cannot change its type. So Rational Functional Tester test script cannot be converted to Command Line test script.
You will have to create a new Command Line test script and unfortunately you might have to add the test script to the affected test cases manually. Or you can use the RQM REST APIs to updated the affected test cases with new Command Line test script (you can remove existing RFT test script as well). You can refer to following WIKI pages to know more details about REST API and RQM URL Utility

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RqmApi
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMURLUtility

You can use RQMURLUtility to get the affected test case RDF file, replace the RFT test script with Command Line test script in the RDF file and upload the RDF file using RQMURLUtility. And iterate it for all affected test cases IDs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Vijay

Comments
Paul Sandie commented Aug 28 '18, 10:00 a.m.
Hi Vijay,

Thanks for this answer. I was coming to a similar conclusion - that I'd have to somehow iterate across all affected test cases updating to reference the command line script.

I did take a look at RQMURLUtility but didn't get much further than the ability to do a GET to retrieve the XML representation of a given test case. It wasn't clear to me how to update the test case.

Are you saying I should GET the XML to file, update it and then PUT or POST it back ?

cheers,

Paul

Vijay Patil commented Aug 29 '18, 6:25 a.m. | edited Aug 29 '18, 6:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes Paul, you should -

1. GET the xml to a file (or if you are writing a JAVA program, then copy it in a String variable)
  2. Update its <testscript> element with new Command Line script URL (check existing URL for RFT script, you might have to just update its ID with Command Line script ID) or add new <testscript> element if you would like to keep RFT script
  3. PUT it back (using the same URL for GET). This should update the affected test case with new Command Line script

Thanks,

Vijay

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.