It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Managing stories across sprints

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | asked Oct 06 '09, 7:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I guess this is more a SCRUM question, but ultimately we need to manage this in RTC 2.x:

A story has three tasks - we keep the sSory in the product backlog, the tasks go into the sprint backlog and remained linked back to the Story. We find out we can't finish the last task and move it to the next sprint.

Does this sound reasonable? Should the Story really be an Epic because it extends over more than one sprint?

thanks

anthony

2 answers

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered Oct 07 '09, 4:43 a.m.
Hi

I guess this is more a SCRUM question, but ultimately we need to manage this in RTC 2.x:

A story has three tasks - we keep the sSory in the product backlog, the tasks go into the sprint backlog and remained linked back to the Story. We find out we can't finish the last task and move it to the next sprint.

Does this sound reasonable? Should the Story really be an Epic because it extends over more than one sprint?

thanks

anthony

Our project does not really use epics as those are just huge stories with a different name. Stories that do not fit in the Sprint schedule are either broken down into smaller stories. If for some reason a committed story incurred several setbacks/delays beyond our control then we discuss it with the product owner if we carry it out on the next sprint (but no credit on the current sprint). We could have opted to terminate the sprint to restart a new one but these are not common occurrences and usually detected at the start of the second week. PO normally suggests doing a swap if that is still feasible.

Not entirely industry-practice grade Scrum implementation but everybody is happy.

permanent link
Anna Pajor (161) | answered Oct 07 '09, 7:38 a.m.
Hi

thanks

anthony

Hi Anthony,

I don't think your story is epic just because tasks remain un-done. An epic is where you have a story that you have then split into further stories and then tasks - so you see/file these smaller stories in the Sprint backlog along with their tasks.

We have eaxctly the same scenario in our project whereby tasks will remain un-done for Sprint 1. I am just intending on carrying these forward into Sprint 2 having spoken to the Product Owner and team. I'm Scrum Master btw.

Just out of interest - I posted a question yesterday on whether people kept the stories in the Product Backlog and tasks in Sprint Backlog as its not clear in a lot of places I have read. I actually moved the stories into the Sprint Backlog as well? I guess its up to individual teams.

Cheers,

Anna

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.