It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Help with incorrectly formatted number

John Steele (27114) | asked Apr 10 '18, 3:29 p.m.
edited Apr 10 '18, 4:10 p.m.

Rational Jazz Team Server: v.5.0.2

Rational Team Concert: v6.0

I have created a Custom Attribute for Epics with a Type of Decimal. I can store decimal values in it, and display them in Plan Views.

However, when I try to display the values with a Query the following error is presented on the screen:

"undefined: The provided number is incorrectly formatted. The number may contain an integral part followed by a fractional part which is separated by a '.'. The number may contain up to 24 integral digits and up to 4 decimal digits."

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this error?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 10 '18, 3:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no product name in the tags, there is no version number, it takes a lot of time to make any sense from the question. I was very close to close it as off topic.

One answer

permanent link
Massimo Maschio (133) | answered Jan 17 '23, 8:38 a.m.

Hello John,

I don't know if this question have been solved, but I just got the same issue: "The provided number is incorrectly formatted. The number may contain an integral part followed by a fractional part which is separated by a '.'. The number may contain up to 24 integral digits and up to 4 decimal digits.".

I would like to provide my solution (it worked on my end) to this question in order to be helpful for others users who may seek for an answer to this question in the future (or they are still looking for).

The issue is related to the DECIMAL attributes you have in your Project Area and to the CSV import of those attributes.
Basically, in my case, someone imported a CSV file and instead of importing the attribute as a DECIMAL (i.e. 100.0), they imported it as an INTEGER (i.e. 100).
Also, if you go inside the work item that is facing the issue, you might see that the field is hidden so you cannot change the value from the work item presentation.
To change it, you can run a query (a simple query from which you can enter the ID of the impacted work item) and through the "Massive Edit", you can edit the attribute and "restore" it as DECIMAL.

In my case, for instance, the value imported was 105, instead of 105.0.
I queried the work item and through the massive edit I changed the value of the attribute into 105.0 and it worked properly.

Hope that this may help you! :)

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 17 '23, 8:49 a.m. | edited Jan 17 '23, 8:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Massimo,

John reported a slightly different issue, Bothe issues might have the same root cause. I think it should not matter if the user imports an integer or types an integer in the editor presentation. The tool should make sure that the format of the number is corrected. If you import into a decimal and the number is an integer, the import should make the integer a decimal. The decimal seems to require the '.' and if that is the case the UI should fix this. It would be nice to submit this as a defect. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.