It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a User Manual or User Guide for Rational Doors Next Generation

Krishna Kumar (1335) | asked Feb 19 '18, 12:24 p.m.

Looking for Rational DNG manuals.  Specifically looking for documentation on "Link type" feature.  There are many options given like "Link To", Embeds, Associated etc.  Would like information on when one type is preferred over the other.

Also would like more information on export (csv/excel)/imports.  If an artifact is linked, a URL is part of a link ("Link To or Embeds) information when exporting that artifact, would like to find out if there is a way not to associate a URL when Link To is used.  We are using DNG 6.0.4.

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Feb 19 '18, 1:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is the main entry for the DNG 6.0.4 documentation in the Knowledge Center.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSJJ9R_6.0.4/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_rm_intro.html

Here the specific entry in the Knowledge Center on link types
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSJJ9R_6.0.4/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_linktypes.html

And I am not sure if I understand your last question. In the export you don't want the URL to appear for a Link To type of link?

Krishna Kumar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Krishna Kumar commented Feb 20 '18, 11:12 a.m.

Thanks a lot for the links, they were very helpful.  I will go through them in detail to find out more.  In the mean time, I wanted to explain what I meant when I said "do not want to associate a URL when Link To is used". I am providing more details in a separate post below. 

Thanks

One other answer

permanent link
Krishna Kumar (1335) | answered Feb 19 '18, 10:54 p.m.
edited Feb 20 '18, 11:13 a.m.
More details related to my earlier post:   We are trying to migrate our requirements from ReqPro (I can hear you say...how come this late:) ) to DNG.  Project consists of a lot of requirements with two Artifact types. Let us call them A and B.  Each A links to one or more of Type B.  17K requirements of A  links to 7K of type B.  It could as simple as one of A links to just one of B, but generally each A links to about 15 type B.  There are a few As that links to 400 - 500 Bs.  So far our research indicates that we cannot import requirements from ReqPro to DNG preserving the links.  May be possible to just import all of A, but the traces to B will not import.  Here is our plan - Import all type Bs initially into DNG via csv export/import process.  Create one requirement of type A in DNG.  After this Create one link (using Link To)from  A in DNG to each  type B artifact.  This would give us the URL for each  type B "Link To"s  .  Repeat this step for all of the 7K of type B.  Take a csv extract of this from DNG.  That will have the URL for each of the 7K "Link To"s for B.   Take a csv extract of all of the requirements from ReqPro (containing all of type A linked to type B ) and use a program to change the link information that came out of ReqPro with the URL information mapping .  This updated file would be used to import all of the ReqPro data into DNG.

As you can see the maximum time would be spent in manually creating the "Link To" for each type B in DNG. If we can find a way to not associate a URL for Link To, then we save all that time.  And we do not see a need for URL info it in our project.  This is what I was trying to determine.  If we must associate a URL, is there a way to obtain the URL without having to establish a "test" link?

Based on a quick reading of the links you provided, it appears there is a way to create  custom Links, not sure if we could do them without associating a URL. We do not have administrator privileges, so have not checked that possibility yet.  All we need is link between two artifact types within the same CLM, no need for linking to external projects.

Any new ideas/insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 20 '18, 2:48 p.m. | edited Feb 20 '18, 2:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Consider to convert this into a new question called how to migrate from reqpro to Doors next or something. 

Krishna Kumar commented Feb 20 '18, 3:23 p.m.

Sure, that is a good suggestion.  I was trying to follow up on my earlier post, so I will leave it as is here as well. Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.