It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM and RTC on one Server?

Meik A Doell (6151) | asked Sep 30 '09, 10:21 a.m.
Hi,

for reasons too complicated to explain, our customer wants to have RQM installed on the same server where RTC is already running.

I have now found conflicting information - in RQM InfoCenter, it says in "Integrating":
Setting up cross-server communication with Rational Team Concert
* You are running the two servers on machines with different host names or IP addresses.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v2r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_config_rtc_defects.html
But this does not explain why (and it is only in the context of integrating, not in the context of installation planning).

Now, RTC InfoCenter has an additional entry in "Integrating":
"Hosting Rational Quality Manager and Rational Team Concert on the same machine"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/topic/com.ibm.team.integration.rqm.doc/topics/t_hosting_rqm_rtc.html
This article only identifies cookies as critical and talks mainly about different ports for both services.

Having test-installed RQM to the RTC server, I can now only use either of the two because the other complains that an outgoing Oracle DB connection is already open.

I could fix this by using another DB host, but the question remains:

Is this (going to be?) a supported setup to have RQM and RTC on one server?

In addition, starting RQM gives you (in Firefox only) the standard JAZZ login screen with "The following services are available", followed by "Rational Quality Manager".
This gave me the impression that I could integrate different JAZZ-based components onto one machine, just like building blocks.
Looking into the requirements (JAZZ_HOME path etc), it seems that a "one Jazz-based component per server" is more realistic.

Can someone enlighten me?

2 answers

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Sep 30 '09, 6:39 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Getting RQM and RTC to run on the same server is definitely doable, although not advised.
Where you're going to get into more trouble is when you try to integrate the two. That starts getting pretty tricky and you move into "unsupported" territory.
If you don't plan on integrating then I'd go ahead according to the doc, but if you want the two to "talk" I'd advise against it.

When you talk about "building blocks", one thing to keep in mind is that both RQM and RTC build on the Jazz Foundation. So a more likely topology in the future would be RQM and RTC running on the same foundation whereas your current configuration has both products running on the same App Server. There's an important distinction there. I think you'll see more in this space in the future, but it's a little shaky right now.

Regards,
John

Hi,

for reasons too complicated to explain, our customer wants to have RQM installed on the same server where RTC is already running.

I have now found conflicting information - in RQM InfoCenter, it says in "Integrating":
Setting up cross-server communication with Rational Team Concert
* You are running the two servers on machines with different host names or IP addresses.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v2r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_config_rtc_defects.html
But this does not explain why (and it is only in the context of integrating, not in the context of installation planning).

Now, RTC InfoCenter has an additional entry in "Integrating":
"Hosting Rational Quality Manager and Rational Team Concert on the same machine"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/topic/com.ibm.team.integration.rqm.doc/topics/t_hosting_rqm_rtc.html
This article only identifies cookies as critical and talks mainly about different ports for both services.

Having test-installed RQM to the RTC server, I can now only use either of the two because the other complains that an outgoing Oracle DB connection is already open.

I could fix this by using another DB host, but the question remains:

Is this (going to be?) a supported setup to have RQM and RTC on one server?

In addition, starting RQM gives you (in Firefox only) the standard JAZZ login screen with "The following services are available", followed by "Rational Quality Manager".
This gave me the impression that I could integrate different JAZZ-based components onto one machine, just like building blocks.
Looking into the requirements (JAZZ_HOME path etc), it seems that a "one Jazz-based component per server" is more realistic.

Can someone enlighten me?

permanent link
Meik A Doell (6151) | answered Oct 01 '09, 3:55 a.m.
Hi John,

thanks a lot for that info! Exactly what I needed!

Since we are still in a "pre-pilot" evaluation phase, I can now plan for requirements when we move to "pilot".

Cheers,

Meik

Note for Self: Just fund a technote about RTC RQM integration which has more detail: "Running both servers with the same host name is currently not working. This is a known limitation in 2.0 and will be fixed in the next service release"

http://jazz.net/library/techtip/304

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.