It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to load component hierarchies as hierarchical directories in a Sandbox?

Jamie Berry (14014196) | asked Nov 15 '17, 1:09 p.m.

I have a project area that has a desire to use hierarchical components due to their concept of a master component with sub-components, including some shared sub-components.  At the surface RTC's support for hierarchical components seems to be the right fit for them.  However, in testing this capability I seem to be running into a major roadblock.  I have not been able to find a way to load the component hierarchy as a folder hierarchy in the sandbox (at least not in Eclipse).  We are using RTC 6.0.3 and the project uses Eclipse for their development IDE.  Is there a way to have the component on disk match the hierarchical structure in RTC?  I found that there is an Enhancement request out there to support automatic loading as a directory hierarchy.  Also, I have seen mention of "nested shares" in RTC as of 6.0.1.  I haven't been able to get this to work so either I don't understand what is meant by this or I am doing something wrong.  Is there a way to load a set of components as a nested hierarchy in the sandbox as of 6.0.3, whether the components are organized as a component hierachy in RTC?

Thanks,
Jamie Berry.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 15 '17, 3:58 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I believe the easiest way to achieve this is to select a component as the top level component of your hierarchy, and then create a load rule file in that top level component.   Then any time you adjust the hierarchy under that top level component, make the corresponding change to where the nested components are loaded, create a new version of that load rule file, and deliver it to the stream.   If you are using that top level component in your workspace, when you load files from that workspace into your sandbox, select that load rule file (from the repository).

Details on how to do each of the above operations appear in the on-line help, but feel free to ask follow-up questions if the on-line help is not clear.   Since you indicated that you had difficulty figuring out how to load one component below another one:
- in the My Repository Workspaces or Pending Changes view, right click on the component in the workspace that you want to nest under another component, and select the "Load As" operation.
- In Local Path, specify where (relative to the root directory of the sandbox) you want the component to be loaded
- select Finish.

Jamie Berry selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Nov 15 '17, 4:35 p.m.

Thank you for the information.  I must have had a blind spot for the Load As... functionality as I never tried it.  I just gave it a go and was able to get my components loaded as desired.  Thank you very much for the information.

Jamie.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.