It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I assign a password to a non-functional user?

Ryan McBryde (5911130) | asked Oct 25 '17, 6:55 p.m.

I followed the following instructions from this article:

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/211399/how-to-use-non-functional-user-for-friends-in-a-licensing-server

I created the user to use with RTC / Github integration.

How can I set a password for this user id?

Therefore here are the steps how to create such user: 

1. Navigate to Advanced Properties in Admin Panel for JTS 

2. Change to User Registry Type to Unsupported and click Save button 

3. Navigate to Users and click Create New User option. 

4. Roll back the value of User Registry Type in admin panel. Your new user does not have to have any licenses. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 26 '17, 1:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry, I thought you had answered your question already. I passed that one to a colleague. I would likely use a LDAP based user for this. It is also typical to use a LDAP based user as a buildmeister account to run the build engines.

Ryan McBryde commented Oct 27 '17, 10:40 a.m.

Thank you Ralph,

I appreciate the information. I am trying to set up an integration between GitHub Enterprise and RTC 6.0.1 and we use LDAP as the external user repo for RTC but not for GHE.  In the instructions that I found from IBM it says that if the 2 tools do not share a "user base" that a non functional user is the recommended course of action.
Do you know why they would recommend this course? Can I use a "normal" LDAP backed user for this purpose?

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 01 '17, 3:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would suggest to use a LDAP based user.

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Oct 27 '17, 4:36 a.m.

If you need a password for a user, it has to be in an external user repository. The reason is that, the password is used during authentication, and authentication is done by the application server (WAS/Tomcat/Liberty) which utilize the external user repository as configured. In simple term, this is just a "normal" user.

Comments
Ryan McBryde commented Oct 27 '17, 10:40 a.m.

Thank you Donald,

I appreciate the information. I am trying to set up an integration between GitHub Enterprise and RTC 6.0.1 and we use LDAP as the external user repo for RTC but not for GHE.  In the instructions that I found from IBM it says that if the 2 tools do not share a "user base" that a non functional user is the recommended course of action.
Do you know why they would recommend this course? Can I use a "normal" LDAP backed user for this purpose?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.