It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to detect duplicate artifacts in DNG

Bob 3 (1481564) | asked Aug 09 '17, 5:53 p.m.

Does anyone know of a method or utility that enables a user to identify duplicate artifacts (artifacts with identical content) within a DNG project area?

Ideas that I had:
  1. Built-in DNG functionality of which I am not aware
  2. A creative SPARQL query in JRS
  3. A JavaScript OpenSocial gadget
  4. Other?
As a last resort, I would use JRS to export all artifacts in the project area to Excel and then identify duplicates there.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Aug 09 '17, 7:08 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 09 '17, 7:09 p.m.

I have a couple of thoughts ...

Let's assume "identical" means "same title and content and attributes but different ID number." I suggest this because ...
1. If you import multiple times, for example from a CSV or Excel file, you could experience this if you don't select update or replace.
2. If you have identical ID numbers in the same project area (or, I think, on the same server) then it's a bug (I don't think that's possible except in the special case of a configuration-enabled project where you have reorganized artifacts into different components and have old and new versions of the same artifact in different components).

If your artifact titles tend to be relatively long and unique (or the content tends to be relatively short and unique), then a JRS report might be the best way to find them (create report, sort by title then description and scan for duplicates).

If not, then it may be most productive to create a DNG extension that reads requirements, creates a hash of the relevant fields, then stores the hash and artifact ID somewhere (and maybe stores more info for convenience).  Then you could find identical hashes.

Bob 3 selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Bob 3 commented Aug 09 '17, 7:23 p.m.

Thanks for your response, Daniel!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.