It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM usability team looking for feedback

April L de Vries (1122) | asked Sep 21 '09, 12:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi RQM users,

The RQM usability team (user experience) is always looking for your feedback.

We are currently working on some realistic RQM usage scenarios. If you could reply to this post with information about a typical 'day in the life,' we would be very appreciative.

For instance, how many test cases do you typically run in an hour? A day? Do you create defects? If so, at what point? Do you use test suites? If so, how often do you run them? Do you use test execution records? Do you look at test execution results?

Basically, 1. tell us your role/job title 2. briefly describe what you do as part of your role in the testing process using RQM and 3. estimate how often you do these things -- that is exactly what we are looking for. In a nutshell, we are trying to determine which parts of the user interface you are using the most in your job.

If you'd like to respond to this question off the boards, feel free to email me directly at april@us.ibm.com.

And, as always, we are always looking for participants in usability research activities. Let me know here or off the boards if you'd like to participate. Thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Would (4123) | answered Sep 23 '09, 6:25 a.m.
Hi RQM users,

The RQM usability team (user experience) is always looking for your feedback.

We are currently working on some realistic RQM usage scenarios. If you could reply to this post with information about a typical 'day in the life,' we would be very appreciative.

For instance, how many test cases do you typically run in an hour? A day? Do you create defects? If so, at what point? Do you use test suites? If so, how often do you run them? Do you use test execution records? Do you look at test execution results?

Basically, 1. tell us your role/job title 2. briefly describe what you do as part of your role in the testing process using RQM and 3. estimate how often you do these things -- that is exactly what we are looking for. In a nutshell, we are trying to determine which parts of the user interface you are using the most in your job.

If you'd like to respond to this question off the boards, feel free to email me directly at april@us.ibm.com.

And, as always, we are always looking for participants in usability research activities. Let me know here or off the boards if you'd like to participate. Thanks!

Hi April,

I'm part of a team currently trying to put RQM into production for some large products and I have a couple of thoughts on usability.

Although I am currently trying to get RQM into use, I am mostly looking at it as a tester as my primary role is creating testplans creating tests running/reporting those things.

i have already raised an enhancement request:
https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=21045
to cover the building of reports. At the beginning of any release, or any project I will have to build several reports to help me ensure I can track the things my manager/project leader will be tracking me for.
However the mechanism to build reports has no way to pre-filter the items to select from. Eg when you go into a report it immediately attempts to list all plans, all milestones for all plans, all test cases for all plans. etc etc. On a project which would have something like 50,000+ test cases, this is not going to work. with just 9000 loaded the report building is already far too slow, and grinds my browser to a halt.

Other things I would like to be able to do is see things like test cases by owner (not originator) but test cases do not seem to have an owner, and so I cannot filter my view by the current owners of material. Over the course of releases the person currently responsible for something is unlikely to be the person who originated that test. Without the ability to set, and search on owner I would have to go to a separate source of information if I wanted to identify who currently manages a set of test cases.

These are just some initial observations, I'm sure as I progress with my project I will be able to come up with more, I suspect many will be down to managing large volumes of data.

permanent link
Christopher Brautigam (61) | answered Sep 23 '09, 7:03 a.m.
Hi April,

I am working with wouldd on the same team. I am normally a tester but for the purposes of this post i am looking at actions that might be made by a test team leader.

I am currently investigating your reporting facilities and have noticed that for some reports i am entering exactly the same selection in the list boxes before running the report. e.g.for the Execution Status by Owner using TER Count, Execution Status by Machine using TER Count and Execution Status by Owner using Weight reports i select the same fields before running.

I was wondering if it would be possible for a feature to be added to save a setup that can be loaded and run on multiple reports?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.