It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CRJAZ2549W

Joao Ramires (34720) | asked Jul 24 '17, 6:14 a.m.

Hi all, some days ago diagnostics shows this:

The diagnostic "Network address resolution" reports a WARNING:
CRJAZ2549W Network address resolution for hostname dnsResolutionDiagnostic--d8YeEG-REeeUJfOUody3Fg did not complete within 10 seconds.  Hostname resolution should complete quickly, whether the hostname is valid or not.  Check the network settings related to the Domain Name System.

I'm using 5.0.2 ifix19

I was expecting to see a valid hostname in this message, what can be behind this error?
Thanks

Comments
Kim Soederhamn commented Jul 24 '17, 8:54 a.m.

sounds like there was a problem getting the host name verified. Maybe there was a temporary network problem preventing the public uri to be verified within 10 seconds.

Is the problem gone now ? if not what is the ping time of the public uri from the machine where you ran the diagnostics ?

Joao Ramires commented Jul 24 '17, 9:24 a.m.

thanks Kim , but the strange part here is the hostname... " dnsResolutionDiagnostic--d8YeEG-REeeUJfOUody3Fg" any idea about where it comes ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Jul 25 '17, 10:56 p.m.

Such string appears in the "testBogusHostname" function of the diagnostic. Yes, the string you see is the (randomly generated) hostname during the test. If I understand correctly, when you send a bogus name to your DNS server, it should immediately return an error, but it seems not the case here.

You can use "nslookup" or similar command to resolve this hostname by using your DNS, and see what the result is.

Joao Ramires selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Joao Ramires commented Aug 02 '17, 6:11 a.m.

Thanks Donald, I understand now where that testBogusHostnames comes from. My infrastructure is suffering from a DNS problems , being addressed by the network people. The insteresting part is this: from Diagnostics I get more the 10 sec to resolve a name, from a terminal (in the same moment) its faster.

99996@xxxxxx (/tmp/)$  time nslookup Hhl8EGvsPVte
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 172.17.11.3, trying next server
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 172.27.11.3, trying next server
Server:         172.27.11.1
Address:        172.27.11.1#53
** server can't find Hhl8EGvsPVte: SERVFAIL
real    0m6.27s

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.