It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the difference between LQE and DCC? Do I need them both?

Michael Johnson (44618) | asked Jun 20 '17, 7:11 a.m.

I have seen a couple post that seem to give different opinions on the functionality of LQE and DCC.  Some seem to believe that if LQE is installed, DCC is not needed.  Can someone explain the difference and whether or not I need them both?  I have DCC installed, but not LQE.

Do they need to be on separate App Servers?

Thanks

Michael

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jun 20 '17, 8:15 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There are two possible data sources for reporting with JRS Report Builder

1. Built-in data warehouse
  2. Lifecycle Query Engine (LQE)

If you are using (1) then the Data Collection Component (DCC) provides the facility to load the data into the warehouse.

If you are using (2) then you don't need DCC.

As I recall, it's a good idea to run DCC or LQE on its own server, because, for any reasonably large set of data, both use a lot of system resources in pursuit of maximizing performance. Someone else can correct me or add more detail on this point.

Michael Johnson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Johnson commented Jun 20 '17, 10:51 a.m.

Hey Daniel, 

Thanks for answering.  
Are there differences in the data/reports that is available/returned?  
DCC seems to work just fine - would LQE do any better?  

Daniel Moul commented Jun 20 '17, 11:19 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If the data warehouse is giving you the reports you need, then stick with that.

If your teams are planning to start using configuration management in RDNG and RQM, then you should look at LQE and plan to have it collecting data as part of exploring/rolling out configuration management / global configurations. Versioned data exists only in LQE.

There are a few minor differences in the data available via the data warehouse versus LQE, which we are working to harmonize.

Michael Johnson commented Jun 20 '17, 11:22 a.m.

Thanks for that last bit.  It was the missing piece to where I was lost on this!

Thanks again,
Michael

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.