It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CHEF and RTC

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Mar 28 '17, 1:42 p.m.

Hi, we are exploring CHEF as part of devops. Does CHEF integrate with RTC for version control?

Most of the documentation is referring to GIT for version control, however since I already use RTC, I was wondering if I still need GIT.
Please let me know.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 28 '17, 4:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It should be the case that CHEF can invoke the RTC command line just as easily as it invokes the GIT command line (in which case you have no need to use GIT".

Comments
Pravin Patil commented Mar 28 '17, 8:48 p.m.

Can you direct me to the documentation on integrating RTC with CHEF and it's purpose and benefits, please?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 29 '17, 12:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The purpose/benefit of using RTC instead of GIT with CHEF would be because you prefer RTC as a source control system, rather than GIT (google "rtc vs git" for articles comparing the two systems).   You would use the on-line documentation for the rtc scm command line, to understand how to have CHEF scripts invoke RTC.
Another integration of RTC with CHEF would be to have an RTC build invoke CHEF (this is unrelated to GIT, because GIT is only a source control system, not a build system).   In that case, you would have your RTC build script invoke the CHEF command line (see the CHEF documentation for that).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.