It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I find what is missing when I get error msg in RTC build: "No language definitions are specified in the build"?

Janet Masters (17814) | asked Mar 02 '17, 2:26 p.m.
edited Mar 15 '17, 11:49 a.m.

I have checked the build definition, language definition, language translator, and association.  I have tried deleting and re-adding the language definition to the build definition.  I am using RTC 6.0.2 z/OS dependency build.  Does some sort of scanning need to be done?

Actual message from the log is:  No language definitions are specified in the build definition or defined in the build definition's process area. A build.xml file cannot be generated.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Liam Doherty (2312) | answered Mar 15 '17, 11:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

After taking a look at Janet's build and setup, it turned out that the 3rd option not mentioned in the message was the fact that there were no parts that referenced the language definition specified in the build.

By changing the parts to reference the language definition the build ran successfully.

I will raise an RTC-EE defect to get the message changed.

Janet Masters selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Hania Abd-El-Razik (262) | answered Mar 02 '17, 2:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Janet,

Please verify that you have a list of language definitions appearing on the z/OS Dependency Build tab of your build definition (it sounds as if you have already checked this).
Are you using a build subset?  If so please make sure that it does not refer to any language definitions that no longer exist (please see: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?crawler=1&uid=swg1PI57692).
Regarding scanning, stream scanning needs to be enabled for a successful dependency build, but if not it would result in a different error message. Please see this link on how to enable it: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_ee_stream_scan_configure.html

thank you,
Hania

Comments
Janet Masters commented Mar 03 '17, 2:53 p.m.

I am not using a build subset.

I see the Language Definition in the Build File and Targets box, and I see it in the list of Language Definitions.

permanent link
Hania Abd-El-Razik (262) | answered Mar 06 '17, 4:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Janet,

Just wanted to confirm that on the Build File and Targets page, you have selected the option to "Generate a build file from these language definitions"?

If that button is selected, it would probably be best to open a PMR.  It would be helpful to provide the rest of the message/any stacktrace, the build log, as well as buildableFiles.xml, which shows language definition associations.  

thank you

Comments
Janet Masters commented Mar 07 '17, 3:41 p.m.

Yes, thanks, I selected "Generate a build file from these language definitions".

To open a PMR, do I use the Support pulldown and choose 'Submit a bug'? 

What is a stacktrace?  Maybe there is a method to zip the whole build output?

Hania Abd-El-Razik commented Mar 07 '17, 4:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Janet,

You can open a PMR via the ibm.com/support site.  On the right side of the page there's a section called "Problem Ticketing (PMR)". I think you would use the "Service Request" link.   
A stacktrace is the full error/exception message that you might see in the log.  It's usually many lines long and keeps track of where exactly in the code the problem occurred and how it got there.  (for example: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/67983/error-while-running-the-z-dependency-build)
Unfortunately I don't know how you might zip up all build output at once.  Maybe when you open the PMR the support folks will be able to share some tips about that with you.

thank you

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.