It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Accessing a DNG change set using RTC Java API

Luca Martinucci (1.0k294112) | asked Feb 21 '17, 2:51 a.m.

I have a DNG project area working together with a CCM (RTC) project area, by means of the Global Configuration.
So, I have DNG change sets (that is, change sets containing changes to DNG artifacts) associated to RTC work items (specifically, Tasks).
I wonder if it is possible to access these change sets using the RTC Java API (either client-side or server-side), in order to automate the extraction of information from them.
This is easily feasible with RTC change sets, which are managed as Java classes in the RTC SDK.
What about DNG change sets?
I am working with version 6.0.3 of the Jazz platform.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 21 '17, 3:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no Java API for RDNG as far as I am aware. You can only follow the links to the object and use RDNG API's on the end. since it is REST, you can get the data in RTC, but RTC has no API that is aware of what the data is and how to interpret it.

I don't know the RDNG API's except https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RMExtensions602

Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Luca Martinucci commented Feb 22 '17, 7:42 a.m.

Thanks for the advice.
I had a look at the RDNG API's article, but I found no mention to the change sets.
Also, it is explicitly said the current version of APIs does not address baseline artifacts.
Probably the RDNG APIs do not support change management objects at all, for now.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '17, 7:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is API, it is just internal, I guess. Please see this answer for a good summary of the APIs for RDNG: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/235276/extending-rdng-functionalities?page=1&focusedAnswerId=235295#235295 

One other answer

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Feb 22 '17, 12:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

DNG does not expose usage of it's changesets in public API's.

These are the API's to integrate with DNG that are available:

• OSLC RM V2 API - the open standard way to programmatically integrate with DOORS Next Generation, there is an elaborate workshop to get you started here OSLC Workshop article. These programs can be from any language that support HTTP REST calls, e.g. Java, C# etc. Hence these are more flexible to run and can read and update DNG data, as part of a web server, or standalone, but have some limitations set by the current OSLC standard, for example module support.
  • TRS 2.0 - the OSLC Tracked Resource Set open standard REST API to hook into the stream of low level changes done to resources in the DNG application (and other Jazz apps as well); read only.
  • and additionally, there is the so called client extension capability, these are Javascript extension that generally added as widgets you can run from the dashboard, and can be used to view and edit DNG data. It's more tailored to DNG, so has better module support, but is limited to run in a browser/javascript environment.

And then there is the private API of REST services DNG uses internally, but it's not documented, changes over time and is not supported for customer use, so use at your own risk.

Comments
Luca Martinucci commented Feb 23 '17, 5:18 a.m.

Thanks for the information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.