It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

snapshot in RTC

Rama SCM (4111320) | asked Feb 02 '17, 2:36 p.m.

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how snapshots are used in RTC. Is there any tutorial available on that? My understanding snapshot are similar to baseline (except they are created at the stream level) and can promoted from one stream to another. In RTC 5.0.2 I do not see any option to promote a snapshot. I see option to change the owner, but when a owner is changed to another stream I do not see the component baselines getting moved to the stream.

Thanks for your help!
Rama

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 02 '17, 3:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The "promote" baseline operation was just renamed to be "change owner" (both to avoid a terminology conflict with the promote operation provided by the Enterprise Extensions, and because it really was just changing the owner).

The old "promote" operation never moved any baselines to any streams ... all it ever did was change the owner of that snapshot ... another reason for changing the name of the operation to be "change owner").   If you want to move baselines from one stream to another, you need to use either the "deliver" operation or the "replace" operation.

Comments
Rama SCM commented Feb 02 '17, 3:43 p.m.

Thanks for the answer Geoffrey!  I have couple of follow up questions.

1) So, if I have to move baseline from two or more components from one stream to another then I have to do it one component at a time?
2) So what is the purpose of a snapshot?
3) What do we achieve by changing the owner of a snapshot?

Thanks!
Rama

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 02 '17, 4:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

1) No.  But first you need to clarify what you mean by "move baseline".   If you mean "merge", you would use a deliver or accept operation.   If you mean "set it to be that baseline", you would use the replace operation.
2) A snapshot is a way of specifying a set of baselines, one per component.   But if you are using a 6.x version of RTC, you now have hierarchical baselines, and those are usually better than snapshots (snapshots have largely been kept for backward compatibility).
3) The owner of the snapshot just is a way to group snapshots in the GUI.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.