It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the benefits of using RTC component hierarchies, and why isn't it reflected in how files are loaded?

GURVINDER SOKHI (731340) | asked Jan 24 '17, 12:58 p.m.
converted to question Jan 26 '17, 12:38 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

we are based on v6.0.2 trying to leverage new SCM component hierarchy capability launched with RTC v6. We have enabled SCM component hierarchy setting on CCM server settings page. Whilst I am able to add/remove sub-components to hierarchy , I don't see   the subcomponent hierarchy changes reflected in my associated sandbox folder structure or its load rules ? I believe one of the key benefits of SCM component hierarchy is to track dependencies between components however that can be already done by snapshots with RTC 5.0.2.

In view of above can someone explain the following:

1. what are the benefits of SCM component hierarchy vs snapshot taking into account a snapshot would capture dependencies between components.

2. once on repository workspace the component hierarchy is introduced (see example screenshot attached) then why isn't the component hierarchy change getting reflected to the associated sandbox file system and its load rules ?                            

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 26 '17, 12:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As a reminder, new questions such as this should be posted as questions, not as "answers" to previously posted questions.   In addition, when there are two distinct questions being asked, they are best posted as two distinct questions.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 26 '17, 1:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
  1. a. If you have hundreds of components, managing a flat list of hundreds of components in workspace and stream views is slow and cumbersome.
    1.b.  If you want to manage a subset of the components as a logical unit (for baselining, for example), hierarchical components gives you the ability to do so.

2. Automatically loading based on component hierarchy is a desirable feature.   You can indicate your support by adding a comment to work item [CCM] Automation for loading content from one component nested in another component based on component hierarchy relationships (361336)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.