It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a log file in RTC

Benjamin Maier (3319) | asked Jan 23 '17, 9:41 a.m.

Hello,

I try to create a logfile in RTC to analyze meta data.
Therefore I wonder if it is somehow possible to create a logfile in Source Control or via the RTC Eclipse plugin, preferably via SVN or Git.
Anyone has an idea?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 23 '17, 9:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Who writes what into the log?

Benjamin Maier commented Jan 24 '17, 3:00 a.m.

the system should write events into the log, for example, which data got edited by who. I saw that its possible to create such logs with git and svn, but I dont see a short way to do so in Source Control.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 24 '17, 3:13 a.m. | edited Jan 24 '17, 3:15 a.m.

What system? RTC won't write anything in any log file that you create at an arbitrary location in a file system. Your question does not make sense at all without more context. See How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers? for some thoughts on how to ask. You can create log files with operating system operations or Java and you can also put them under SCM. The question is really what context the logs are supposed to work for.  

3 answers

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jan 23 '17, 5:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Benjamin,

does either https://jazz.net/forum/questions/76965/configuring-my-plugin-to-use-log4j
answer your question or the fact that RTC writes logfiles server side in /server/logs/ccm.log which can be configured via log4j.properties in .../conf/ccm?

- Arne

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 24 '17, 5:01 a.m.

If you mean a transaction log on what SCM does, there is no log I am aware of. The interesting information is available in the tool such as the component history. The CCM application has a log (ccm.log) that logs things and can be configured to log more, but more and more logging impacts the performance.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Jan 24 '17, 3:43 p.m.
edited Jan 24 '17, 3:44 p.m.

One can configure SCAA logging in the log4j.properties ( it is required where for the repositories we manage ).  e.g.

# Uncomment these lines to create a versioned content access log file
# WARNING : These files will grow fairly fast, if you wish to process this accurately, you
# will could use a FileAppender and pipe it into another script/program. log4j.appender.scm_scaa=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender log4j.appender.scm_scaa.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout log4j.appender.scm_scaa.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd log4j.appender.scm_scaa.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} %m %n log4j.appender.scm_scaa.File=/scaalogs/rtc3srv1-9443-ccm.log

The output looks like:

2017-01-24 15:29:47,670 SCAA:giang/FileItem,attr_kuxlfapfls.properties,dnRjwI9rEeWHh8QAkPZy-w,_CSqWicEYEeWKwO3eM2_Zsg/supports,-zbT4GXDEeS12b1Wd8MBdw
2017-01-24 15:32:01,157 SCAA:giang/FileItem,attr_kuxlfapfls.htm,dnQ8sI9rEeWHh8QAkPZy-w,_EHjiM-JEEeaH2uZMOIV9EA/supports,-zbT4GXDEeS12b1Wd8MBdw
2017-01-24 15:32:01,175 SCAA:giang/FileItem,attr_kuxlfapfls.htm,dnQ8sI9rEeWHh8QAkPZy-w,_1jsrTb98EeWKwO3eM2_Zsg/supports,-zbT4GXDEeS12b1Wd8MBdw

But that only logs file fetches, not things like deliver ( which can be discerned using the SCM utility ).  And as you can see not much of the information in the SCAA is suitable for human consumption.

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/SCMScaa

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.