It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I move a change set from one work item to another in different projects across ccm servers?

Dudley Thomas (41613) | asked Jan 13 '17, 4:57 p.m.

Situation:

Project A (CCM1)
- work item A with Change Set 1

I want to move it to Project B (CCM2)
- work item B.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 13 '17, 5:16 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The term "move" is probably not appropriate here, since the change set itself doesn't move ... you just add/remove the links between the change sets and work items.   You can link a change set to work items on any server (as long as the change set server and work item server are friends, and you have the appropriate permissions).   Note that you use a work item link if they are on the same server, and a change request link if they are on different servers.

Comments
Dudley Thomas commented Jan 13 '17, 5:32 p.m.

Thanks Geoff for the quick response. A little more detail about my situation. 

We have a legacy project and have a team that wants to "split" off into a separate project on a separate server.  We created baselines from the code in the legacy and seeded new components in the new project with these baselines.  

We then exported/imported unresolved work items into the new project.  We did not realize at the time that there were change sets for some of these unresolved work items. 

I believe that most of these change sets were delivered before we created baselines and seeded the new components. One could argue that we should "do nothing" for those we captured.But for traceability, the Change Request link sounds like a good solution.

If there are some that were delivered after the baseline, they can manually reproduce these changes in the new project as this should only be a few small changes. 

Does this sound accurate?  Thanks

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 14 '17, 12:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, that all sounds accurate.   Note that if you had used "distributed deliver" to create and populate the components in the new repository, you would have had even better traceability, because the change sets from the old repository would have been replicated into the new repository, and then you could have used a work item link to link the copy of the change set in the new repository to the copy of the work item in the new repository.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.