It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Combining 2 process templates into a new one and applying the new process to both original project areas

Alex Stamenov (1115) | asked Oct 25 '16, 8:47 a.m.
edited Oct 25 '16, 8:49 a.m.
Hi !

I have 2 project areas with different templates: PA1 uses 3.0.1_OPAL_SCRUM_v0.7 template and PA2 uses
Scrum template. Both PA1 and PA2 have years of existing data in them - sprint backlogs, product backlogs, work items, etc.

I need to be able to merge the 2 templates into new one and apply it to the original project areas - replace the eixsting templates with the new one - without any data loss. What is the best way tpo accomplish this ?
Do I need to perfrom and backup of both PA before making changes to make sure I havethe original data intact ?

Both PA are running on RTC 6.0.1 (Change and Configuration Management).

Alex Stamenov

One answer

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813274) | answered Oct 25 '16, 8:58 a.m.

Alex,

Assume we are talking about RTC?

I guess it really depends on how much has changed in the PA since they were created and what the differences were/are between the two PA now. Why do you need to merge the templates?

You really need to start an impact analysis of the content of each and do some work in an different environment as this could be very difficult.  However it really depends on your Project/Process template development and how it is documented.

What are your using the Project Areas for:  Work Items? SCM? Builds? etc.

However this is a very interesting question if anyone else wants to comment.

Regards

Matt Muller

Comments
Alex Stamenov commented Oct 25 '16, 9:09 a.m. | edited Oct 25 '16, 9:11 a.m.

Hi Matt !

Yes, we are talking RTC - specifially - Change and Configuration Management.

PA1 is mostly used for development, PA2 is mostly used for Operations and Production Support.

PA1 has template good for tracking items in development and deployment, PA2 has template good for tracking defects, their resolution and deployment of fixes or new functinality to production.

I want to be able to use all defect attributes and process flow from PA2 into PA1 - in order to provide proper links and tracking from defects to development and back to deployment.

Also, I want to be able to use some development elements from PA1 into PA2 - to link new developmen items to what is happening in production so that operations can provide better reporting on when things will get fixed and how.

I am currently at a point where I have exported both templates and I can do file compare in Notepad ++ of the XML files, for example to find differences in templates specifications. But it is overwhelming work to try to resolve the differences via text compare. It has got to exist a better way !

Matt Muller commented Oct 25 '16, 9:20 a.m.

Alex,

It will be best for a technical consultant from IBM to answer your question;

It really does depend on what you have in the detail of the Project Area Config and also what you are talking about can only be done with using the MASTER project Configuration setup.

The effort must determine the reason for the outcome - to combine the template - Very High Risk

I would consider doing the more simple - Copy the WI configurations between to fill the gaps - Low risk

You will need to be confident in editing XML content for RTC..   something that only experience will give you.

It's difficult to give you an "Answer" as it's the impact assessment is key - so complete the XML Compare first.

Good luck

Matt

Alex Stamenov commented Oct 25 '16, 10:51 a.m.

Thank you, Matt ! I will consider the options you mentioned and will discuss with the team what is the best action we could take.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.