It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Any idea about effects on performance and DB size, when automatic archiving of auditable links for work items is turned on?

long TRUONG (3654118146) | asked Jun 28 '16, 5:52 p.m.
edited Jun 28 '16, 5:55 p.m.
 Our RTC/RRC 5.0.2 still with Tomcat now on Windows server 2008. We have a request to turn on 

automatic archiving of auditable links for work items.

Considering the issues we got in the past with out of resources (mostly OOM hangs), forum post 220347, and considering we only use Change Management (WI) and use it heavily:

Should we be concerned with the effects turning this feature on will generate on memory, performance, and DB space?

Wonder if we have similar feature for RRC links for artifacts?

Comments
long TRUONG commented Aug 23 '16, 2:16 p.m.

The project team requesting for this feature, has since rescinded its request, due to other concerns on performance, hence we no longer pursue this in PRD.

However we did turn it on (for CCM) for testing for a short period of time on TST, it was curious to observe:
  • History still showed no trace of creation of new links or modification of existing links, on existing WIs. Have not tried links in new WIs. We believe that the feature is completely ineffective.
  • This feature can be independently turned on for each app JTS, CCM. RM (we don't have QM).
  • Note that in RM, without this feature turned on, audit history still shows when a link is created and what type, without any contents to be able to tie, on a 1-to-1 basis, history to each item of a set of multiple links of the same type.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 03 '16, 8:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note: I have not experimented with this functionality for JTS, RM, or QM, so all of my comments below refer to CCM.

There is some impact on disk space (since link deletion events are created), but normally, this is not significant (unless you have some background automated process continuously adding and removing links).   It has some impact on displaying link history but normally this also is not significant (with same comment as above).

WRT the recent comment ... Link history works fine for me ... in particular, it always shows the addition of links (you do of course have to check the box in the upper right corner of the work item history pane which says "Include Link History").

Note that the addition of links are always shown in the history ... it is just the deletion of links that is not shown unless you have set this server property.   When I set this server property, deletion of links (since the property was turned on) shows up fine in the history for me.
long TRUONG selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
long TRUONG commented Sep 04 '16, 2:01 a.m. | edited Sep 04 '16, 2:58 a.m.

Thx Geoffrey,

Suspect that we did not ' check the box in the upper right corner of the work item history pane which says "Include Link History" '.

Did find that we have had history of links creation all along with that box checked. Wonder if modifications of links would also have been recorded in WI history without, or would be with, that feature turned on.

Will be checking this feature again when we get a request to turn on this feature to be able to submit an RFC for it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.