It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to record a Rational Functional Tester script for automating some tasks in CLM?

Manuel Felipe Amaya (1321227) | asked May 12 '16, 3:12 p.m.
Hi, this maybe out of scope but it may lead to a better way to work.

I was trying to automate some of the administrative operations that every now and then should be done. Among other things, this includes:
  • Changing the mail settings for a new group of users.
  • Assigning licenses to a large group of users.
  • Assigning a large group of users utilization across many timelines.
  • Removing/moving/modifying a large number of RDNG folders.
  • Extracting queries.
  • Validating a JSC repository stream folder structure (CM static tests).

So, I started with the first and planned to move as I was finishing to other automation tasks.

For the most part I could not manage to get Rational Functional Tester to read correctly the activities I was performing. For example, when clicking a text field RFT understand that the text in the text field is what is selected. This is also the case for links, or about everything that is not a button or a clean text field.

Maybe my approach is not the best, but, I was wondering if you could help me undertand why this is not working properly?

Thank you.

P.D.: On the other hand, if someone knows a better way to automate the task listed above, feel free to guide me in that direction as well.

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 13 '16, 12:34 a.m.

While RFT supports Dojo and CLM relies heavily on Dojo, there is significant customization on the Dojo framework used in CLM. So I'm not sure whether RFT actually support CLM.
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSJMXE_8.6.0/com.ibm.rational.test.ft.doc/topics/c_dojo_support.html

BTW, the way you use RFT is quite curious.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered May 13 '16, 4:08 a.m.
Manuel,
From previous experience, I would try to avoid that approach, unless there is no other choice.
Most or all of the tasks you mentioned can be scripted using the APIs.
For RTC or JTS related (your bullet points 1, 2, 3, 5, 6), I would recommend to use the RTC Java API.
For RDNG, (bullet point 4), OSLC.
Manuel Felipe Amaya selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.