It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jetty RTC Launch Dependencies Issue: What's different in my workspaces?

Matthew Inman Cochrane (3837) | asked Apr 27 '16, 11:54 a.m.

I have distinct Eclipse workspaces for each client's projects, and I'm stumped by an issue launching Jetty. The exact same launch configuration works in one workspace (let's call it Alpha) but not another (Beta).

I've set it up so that they share the same Jetty db, so I know that works. They draw from the same server conf, so I know that works. The same RTC plugins are installed in both (5.0.2). Both are running the same target platform. Both have all plugins added to the Java search (with removed from Java search). I've exported the launch configuration file from workspace Alpha and imported it into workspace Beta, so it's exactly the same. I've also exported the Eclipse preferences from workspace Alpha and imported them into workspace Beta. I've cleaned all projects in workspace Beta. I've set up exactly the same string replacements in each. I'm using (and can verify when launching) the same jdk in each. When I look at the launch configuration, both are able to see all the features and bundles of the launch configuration. Also, they're both running the same Eclipse.exe. The only difference I can find in the setup is the workspace-based location of the launch's Configuration Area, but the settings in both workspaces are to clear the configuration area before launching anyway.

Alas, in workspace Beta, whenever I launch this configuration (or any, in fact), I get a HUGE list of dependencies that cannot be resolved. It's like it just can't build anything. I'm able to access a couple pages when launching from workspace Beta, like the server admin page, but upon trying to go to any work item or dashboard, it falls apart with many errors.

All the error lines start with "ERROR net.jazz.ajax.model.WebBundleDependency", then a bunch of warning lines that start with "WARN net.jazz.ajax/WebBundleScanner" follow.

It would be amazing if someone who has seen this before knows how to resolve it, but I'm so stumped that I'd be happy to just hear troubleshooting ideas. Please, any ideas that you have are welcome!

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 28 '16, 2:51 a.m.

I forgot to set the workspace to UTF8 once and that rendered the whole workspace as unusable for SDK work. Just a shot into the blue.

Matthew Inman Cochrane commented May 04 '16, 1:30 p.m. | edited May 04 '16, 1:34 p.m.

Thanks for the idea! (Sorry my reply is so late, I didn't get notified of your comment).

I've just checked both workspaces and they're both set to UTF-8.

Matthew Inman Cochrane commented May 05 '16, 11:45 a.m. | edited Jun 06 '16, 1:21 a.m.

I just tried copying the launch configuration folder inside of "[workspace Alpha]/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core" over to "[workspace Beta]/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core" (replacing the one that was there).

It didn't help, but I wanted to document the attempt here since I noticed that the content of those directories was a little different.

Matthew Inman Cochrane commented May 05 '16, 6:10 p.m. | edited Jun 06 '16, 1:22 a.m.

I have also just performed a clean restart of Eclipse (launching with the -clean flag). Did not fix.

Ralph Schoon commented May 09 '16, 3:31 a.m. | edited May 09 '16, 3:32 a.m.

 Those folders are generated by Eclipse and should not be touched. Debug launches get stored there as *.launch files. You can change where you store the launch files on the Common tab of the launch. The extension workshop stores the launches in a special project. You can do that or store the launches in a special folder in each project. This allows to use RTC SCM to share the launches.

Matthew Inman Cochrane commented May 09 '16, 1:00 p.m.

Yeah, it was a stretch, it was just all I could identify that was different between the workspace that the .launch configuration was working in and the workspace that the exact same .launch configuration won't work in.

I went back and forth on whether to store my launches in an Eclipse project that I would import to all my workspaces (like the extension workshop does it) and ended up preferring to do it a different way. Still, I end up using the same exact .launch file and made sure of that a few times in a few ways throughout this troubleshooting.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Matthew Inman Cochrane (3837) | answered Feb 13 '17, 1:40 p.m.

I just came across this, my own post, while researching a different issue, but while I'm here, I think I may remember something that resolved this for me eventually.

It's clear that I was convinced at the time that I was running the same target platform on both of these workspaces, but since then I've been able to resolve this sort of issue whenever I realize that I was trying to run a Jetty launch that points to a database that has been accessed from a newer RTC SDK target platform than the one I'm currently running.

So, for those who come across this issue, I'd recommend changing your target platform to a higher SDK (assuming you've ever launched Jetty while Eclipse is using another target platform), restarting Eclipse, possibly making sure that the Java search has what it needs again, and then trying the launch again.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.