It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Checkout using snapshot label via command line

Arun Kumar (132) | asked Apr 25 '16, 12:21 p.m.
edited Apr 26 '16, 4:52 p.m.
Hello Team,

I am new to RTC, and would Appreciate if someone can clarify my query.

Question:

We are using RTC as a source control in our project. I understand that there is some difference with the RTC in performing tasks such as checkout,tagging, Branch creation etc comparing with other versioning system such as SVN, CVS, Perforce etc.

I am trying to checkout the source code using the Build Label/ Snapshot which we create while performing build. I am trying to perform this over command line. Is there any possible ways to achieve this?
At present we are checking out the source code using the RTC Steam/Workspace name directly. Now we want to checkout the tag/label/snapshot specific code for one of the release instead of pulling the latest code always.

I have checked the TeamFetch and TeamAccept commands, but couldn't able to figure out. Any help over here is much Appreciated.

-Arun

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sridevi Sangaiah (59179) | answered Apr 27 '16, 12:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Arun,

The TeamFetch and TeamAccept commands doesn't support loading from a snapshot. To build the source code configuration represented by a snapshot, one can create a repository workspace from that snapshot and load this workspace.

Related jazz.net workitem - Investigate adding ant tasks to load from a snapshot. (367409).

Thanks,
Sridevi

Arun Kumar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Arun Kumar commented Apr 28 '16, 10:20 a.m.

Thanks for your response, Sridevi.

Does loading the workspace corresponding to the snapshot creates overhead in RTC? 

If so, what is the maximum limit of such workspaces that one can create in RTC?

Does RTC has any other alternative approach for this issue?

Please clarify.

-Arun

Sridevi Sangaiah commented Apr 29 '16, 2:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Arun,

Workspaces are light weight objects. We don't expect any overheads when loading from a workspace created from a snapshot. It is similar to loading a build workspace.

There is no limitation on the number of workspaces that can be created. Since the workspace created from a snapshot is required just for the build, as a best practice one can delete this workspace once the build completes.

The ant tasks from the build toolkit doesn't support creation and deletion of workspaces. By using SCM command line client creation and deletion of workspaces can be done from the build script.

I believe loading from a workspace created from the snapshot is the best possible solution until load from snapshot support is provided in the ant tasks.

Thanks,
Sridevi

Arun Kumar commented May 03 '16, 2:48 p.m.

Thanks a lot, Sridevi.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.