It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best practice for organizing and moving large number of requirements into a DNG module

Jim Tompkins (19317) | asked Apr 05 '16, 2:14 p.m.

I have a need to organize my requirements into sets.  I then need to copy the sets into modules.  I tried using collections as the container, but collections cannot be added to a module.  I then created a new artifact to use to hold the requirements and then added the new artifact to my modules.  That work properly,  but it will not print the contents of the requirements, only the title of the requirement.

I am probably over thinking this.  Is there a best practice for organizing requirements and using a set of requirements in a module? 

I also know I can use tags, but tagging a bunch (100s) or requirements just to add them to a module is cumbersome.

Thanks!

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 06 '16, 1:21 a.m.
It depends on how you define the "set", and how you organize the requirement artifacts into "sets". For example, when you attempted with a collection, how did you filter the requirements so that you could pick the right ones? If you can apply the same filtering technique when adding artifacts to a module, there should be not much differences.

Comments
Jim Tompkins commented Apr 06 '16, 9:58 a.m.

Thank you for the reply.

We organize our requirements into sets which represent reusable capability.  For example we could have a set of requirements which describe a grid control.  The grid control, along with its requirements, are used in several different products.

We use modules to document the requirements for a particular project.  A project could be a release.  For example, we could have a project to release Version 2 of Product A.  Once the project is complete, the module is archived.

I need a way of creating "sets" of requirements that I can put into many different modules.  I can't put a collection into a module or a module into another module.  I don't want to have to go find the set of requirements each time I create a new module as we have thousands of requirements I need to organize and use them as a set.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Donald Nong commented Apr 12 '16, 3:29 a.m.

The best approach that I can think of is using folders.

Note that when you "add" an artifact to a module, you actually "reuse" the artifact. You can think of it as a "reference" to the original/base artifact.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.