It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to copy everything related to a Test Plan in a single RQMCopy operation?

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked Feb 29 '16, 7:33 p.m.
 We're trying to copy all data associated to a Test Plan from one RQM PA to another. (RQM v5.0)

The RQMCopyUtility though, when specifying only that TP id, copies Test Cases, Test Scripts and Test Suites along with the TP, but doesn't carry TCERs/TSERs/TERs.

Is there a way to carry it all in a single copy query?

Or, if we have to run individual queries for the execution artifacts, is there a way to make it link to the previously copied data? (right now, running it for a specific TCERs copies the Planning and Construction data all over again, duplicating it)

Additional info
  • Both source and target are in the same PA, so we tried the GUI's "copy" function, but that doesn't copy the execution data either
  • Attempted queries:
    java -jar RQMCopyUtility.jar -s="source path" -d="target path" -us="user" -pws="password" -l="logname" -a=testplan -id=urn:com.ibm.rqm:testplan:267 ---> doesn't copy Execution data
  • java -jar RQMCopyUtility.jar -s="source path" -d="target path" -us="user" -pws="password" -l="logname" -a=executionworkitem -id=urn:com.ibm.rqm:executionworkitem:4236 ---> duplicates Planning and Construction data from the first query
  • No timelines nor environments are being used at this point

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 01 '16, 1:12 a.m.
If you use the RQMCopyUtility as is, the behavior is expected, since the code is designed that way. The source code of this tool is included in the package, so you can modify the code and handle whatever the use cases you like. It shouldn't be too difficult for an experienced Java developer (if you have one available that is).
Taly Hotimsky selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented Mar 01 '16, 6:59 a.m.

Thanks for the answer, Donald.

Would you be able to provide the rationale for this being the expected behavior? (especially the duplication when running it for the TCERs)

I'm wondering whether it's worth opening an Enhancement request around it.

Donald Nong commented Mar 01 '16, 8:21 p.m.

When I checked the source code, I could see the logic there matches what you described. The file I checked is
RQMCopyUtility/src/com/ibm/rqm/ct/artifacts/internal/TestPlanArtifactHandler.java

You can extract the RQMCopyUtility.jar file and have access to all the source code.

Taly Hotimsky commented Mar 02 '16, 8:49 a.m.

Thank you, Donald!

I've passed this post along to the development team in our org so they have a starting point.

For the rationale though, I was looking to understand what business case is met by the duplication behavior when copying Execution data.
I'm wondering whether even though working as design, it warrants an Enhancement.

Donald Nong commented Mar 02 '16, 10:35 p.m.

I don't know the rationale part (maybe it was not well thought out when it was first developed?). Since the tool is simply "an API sample", it may only fit for very limited use cases. I guess the development team will ensure its working order, but any new features or enhancements will be at low priority. It is stated in the Wiki.
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMCopyUtility

If you have the skills or resources, it will be much easier just do it yourself.

Taly Hotimsky commented Mar 03 '16, 6:35 a.m.

Thank you so much for the clarifications!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.