It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team Release Plans

Adam Coulthard (1322116) | asked Aug 04 '09, 4:47 p.m.
Hi

We've been setting up Rational Team Concert for our team and we have just recently upgraded to V2.0. I've been investigating how Release Plans and Iteration Plans work together across our project and hit some issues / questions.

I've setup a Project Release Plan that has the top level work items of Enhancement and Planing item. At first I setup this as a project level plan against the Project "Team" but for some reason this meant that in the eclipse client I could never find the plan again. Has anyone encounted this issue? I can view it in the web client. In the end I changed it to being a team plan for the highest iteration we have.

Everything appeared ok on both the Project Release plan and the Team Release Plans apart from I've been unable to get tasks and defects to show up in the Team Release Plans at the highest iteration level I have to target a Team Release plan at the lowest iteration level which then turns them into iteration plans.

Is this possible to get the Team Release plans to show tasks and defects without updating the top level work item because then the Project Release plan is effected as well? or is it possible to create a custom plan type to use?

4 answers

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Aug 05 '09, 2:50 a.m.
adamcoulthard wrote:

I've setup a Project Release Plan that has the top level work items of
Enhancement and Planing item. At first I setup this as a project
level plan against the Project "Team" but for some reason
this meant that in the eclipse client I could never find the plan
again. Has anyone encounted this issue? I can view it in the web
client. In the end I changed it to being a team plan for the highest
iteration we have.

can you open a defect on this issue with reproducible steps? thanks!

Everything appeared ok on both the Project Release plan and the Team
Release Plans apart from I've been unable to get tasks and defects to
show up in the Team Release Plans at the highest iteration level I
have to target a Team Release plan at the lowest iteration level
which then turns them into iteration plans.

Release Plans aggregate work items of child iterations and/or team areas, depending on the selected plan type. Only the execution items of the configured team / iteration are loaded from the server, but not the ones belonging to a child team area / child iteration.
Configuring a release plan for a leaf iteration does not make it behave like an iteration plan - for example the progress is computed based on the items' complexity rather than the estimate.

Is this possible to get the Team Release plans to show tasks and
defects without updating the top level work item because then the
Project Release plan is effected as well? or is it possible to create
a custom plan type to use?

It is not possible to create a new plan type to achieve that.
However, you can always create a new top level work item type for the work items you want to aggregate over multiple team areas / iterations.

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 05 '09, 6:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I experienced some inconsistent behavior in using the Team Release and the Release plan in 2.0.

Basically I am usually working with a project migrated from 1.0.1.1 based upon the Eclipse way Process. Project and Team release plans in this project never show any execution items, regardless how the check box for this filter is set.

Contrary, in a new project based upon the SCRUM template I created I am able to see execution items in the plan consistent to the filter setting.

Which behavior should I expect in general? Is this something that can be changed in the process template (maybe hidden?).

BTW: I found this work item https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=84088 that talks about import issues but i am not aware of issues with the migration.

Thanks,

Ralph

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 05 '09, 6:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sorry,

I used new post, however the post was attached here. I will open a new subject.

Ralph

permanent link
Adam Coulthard (1322116) | answered Aug 20 '09, 7:12 a.m.
Michael,

Thanks for the fast reply to my query. I've raised a defect on the jazz system (hopefully in the correctly place). Its defect 90741.

Cheers

Adam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.