It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can multiple users update the same workspace with the RTC client using the same machine

Bob Ferguson (891544) | asked Jan 14 '16, 9:12 a.m.

I am using RTC 3.0.1.5 (hoping to move to version 6 soon).

I have multiple users using the RTC client on the same machine and they wish to update the same workspace.

They have changed the permissions (via windows) on the workspace however, they get a message stating that they cannot update the workspace because they do not own it.  Only the user who created and loaded the workspace can update it.  When I say update I am talking about accepting changes that someone else has made on the stream and the user wants to have those changes downloaded to their storage area.

The reason we have multiple users using the same machine is that this is a build machine.

The reason why we don't have a build user id that they all can use is that it is against policy to have a common user id.

We are not using the build capabilities because we are doing builds with a tool that uses a GUI interface only.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 14 '16, 10:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, this would cause workspace out of sync scenarios. It users want to share then they need a stream and their workspaces flow against the stream.
Bob Ferguson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 14 '16, 10:32 a.m.

A build would usually only load a repository workspace and not deliver, loading is fine, delivery is not. You could create a new repository workspace from the stream you build. The unique workspace can then flow against the stream.
Be aware that if you do this and deliver from the workspace, you could potentially create conflicts on the stream, that would block delivery and need to be resolved by a user.

Bob Ferguson commented Jan 15 '16, 2:15 p.m.

We are going to only do builds.  We would only accept changes we would not deliver.  The reason we need to use the exact same local workspaces is that location is in multiple config files used during the build and the config files are associated with the users Windows profile.

I tried to change the ownership of the workspace however, when the new owner tried to accept changes they could not.  Received a message stating that only the owner of the workspace could update the workspace. 

If changing the ownership should work, maybe I did it wrong.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 15 '16, 2:50 p.m.

Are you sure that you successfully changed the owner?   Note that only the current owner of a workspace, or someone with REPO_ADMIN permission can change the owner of a workspace.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.