It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent a role creating components?

Cliff Gardiner (921033) | asked Oct 12 '15, 7:20 a.m.

Hi all, I'm seeking to restrict creation of new components (RTC 4.0.7) to administrative users.  It should still be possible for certain roles to be able to add existing components to streams.

I thought I could do this by removing the permission 'Save Component (server) / Modify / Component / Add a component to a project/team area' from all except the one admin role I have defined but this doesn't seem to have worked as a 'normal' user has managed to create a component in a stream, so I must have missed something.

Can someone advise the best way to do this please?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 16 '15, 8:16 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that there is currently no way to prevent anyone from creating a private component of their own.   What you can control is who can add (or remove) components to a particular stream.   Just for interest's sake, why do you care whether someone creates some private component for them to experiment with?   Note that there is an enhancement request to be able to control this: Want to be able to control who is allowed to create a component (95350)
Cliff Gardiner selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Cliff Gardiner commented Oct 19 '15, 10:28 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

thanks for your response.  It's not the answer I was hoping for (!) but the enhancement you mention should give the measure of control I'm looking for.

The reason I want this concerns management of a Production environment with multiple project areas and hundreds of users.  I'm seeking to keep it as clean as reasonably possible and don't want untold numbers of components (that can't be deleted) created by users outside standard processes.  Also components names are mandated as unique within the repository so uncontrolled creation can cause unwanted knock-on effects.  Experience shows that when users with limited knowledge have unfettered access then a mess is created that someone - not them - has to deal with!

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 19 '15, 5:48 p.m. | edited Oct 19 '15, 5:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I personally agree that one should be able to control who is allowed to create components in a repository, for the reasons you mention (which you probably could guess since I submitted that enhancement request :-).
But note that components by default are created as "private" which means nobody else will see them ... so any mess created by someone playing around will not be visible to anyone else, unless the owner explicitly modifies the visibility of the component to be "public".

One other answer

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Oct 12 '15, 10:53 a.m.
edited Oct 12 '15, 10:55 a.m.
Hi Cliff,

Can you please refer the below image and un check the permission in respective role and see does it helps.

Regards,
Arun.

Comments
Cliff Gardiner commented Oct 12 '15, 11:16 a.m.

Hi Arun, thanks but that will also prevent adding an existing component to a stream.  It's specifically creation of new components I want to control; I think unchecking the whole of Save Component (server) will do the trick but that seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.