It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

QM 5.0.2 From a Test Suite in the Test Cases section, a user that owns the test cases and has permissions in the team area that owns the test case cannot update the test case name from the column in the test cases section

Chris Lockard (2549) | asked Oct 05 '15, 4:40 p.m.
Karthik & Corry -- We have the Master INT Agile Training Project Area CM all set up to look like production, so we can make the change to

6 answers

permanent link
Brett Bohnn (94111153) | answered Oct 06 '15, 12:34 p.m.
Hi Chris,

So the user can create new test cases assigned to a team area but they cannot edit the name any test case from the test cases section of the test suite.  Can they edit that test case name directly from the test case vs. from the test case section of the test suite?

Check the team area field for one of the test cases a user cannot edit from the test suite. Then go to Manage Project Areas > go the project area where you cannot edit the test case name > go to Team Area Hierarchy > access the team area the user belongs to > go to Permissions > Show by Operation. Then make sure the role they have, e.g. Test Team Member, is allowed to perform all of the actions under Save Test Case. I don't think Save Test Suite actions come into play here but that is worth checking as well.

Thanks,
Brett

Comments
Chris Lockard commented Oct 06 '15, 12:45 p.m.

Hi Bret -- I guess you figured out to ignore what was in my question contents, not sure what happened but that got pasted in from another internal conversation i was having so is immaterial.

Yes, the user can click on the ID link to the test case and then update the name and other attributes of the test case directly from the test case edit window.

So the users have the permissions and a means to update the test case name, they would just like to be able to do that to a whole set of test cases from the test suite without having to navigate individually to each test case.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 09 '15, 4:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The quality of your question is so bad from my perspective, that it is pretty bold to accuse someone to have ignored the point. See How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers? for how to ask questions in this forum and also consider to look at other questions.

permanent link
Brett Bohnn (94111153) | answered Oct 06 '15, 10:08 p.m.
Hi Chris,

Can you please paste the detail of permission error the user receives trying to change the test case name from the test suite? e.g.

Unable to save Test Case
'Save Test Case' Failed.
You don't have permission to perform the following actions:
Edit (edit)
. Team Area: newTeamB

Also, is the test suite assigned to a different team area than the test cases in suite?

Thanks,
Brett

Comments
Chris Lockard commented Oct 07 '15, 1:15 p.m.

Change Test Cases propeties  Operation Failed

'Save Test Case' Failed.  You don't have permission to perform the following actions: Edit (edit)

We have edited the test cases within the test suite so that they all belong to the same team area as the test suite.  Still the same error.  The team area is the one where the user has the Test Team Member role which has permissions to modify test cases.  All of the test suites in the parent test plan all belong to the same team area as well, as does the test plan itself.  The user getting the permission error is also the owner of the test suite in question.  Another user does own the parent test plan.

permanent link
Brett Bohnn (94111153) | answered Oct 07 '15, 11:06 p.m.
Hi Chris,

I have not been able to reproduce this. If the edit fails with "Save Test Case' Failed. You don't have permission to perform the following actions: Edit (edit) . Team Area: newTeam'" it fails from both the test case itself and when the test case is edited from a test suite. I cannot reproduce a condition where I can edit the test case itself but not from a test suite.

The error does not mention "Team Area" like mine pasted above, which makes me think it is coming from the parent project area permissions. However, if "Save Test Case" only has a green check mark icon for one of the user's roles, meaning all actions under "Save Test Case" are permitted (including "edit), I think the edit should work from the test suite and test case.

I research more tomorrow and follow up.

Thanks,
Brett

permanent link
Brett Bohnn (94111153) | answered Oct 08 '15, 3:17 p.m.
Hi Chris,

If you can extract the process template and provide it to us through a PMR I could more easily look at permissions in the project area and team areas to see what is going on.

As a test only, perhaps give the "everyone" role  the Save Test Case permission in the project area, which will be inherited by the team areas. If it fails, do the same for Save Test Suite.

Thanks,
Brett

Comments
Chris Lockard commented Oct 09 '15, 3:55 p.m.

This is on QM 5.0.2 iFix007.

All permissions are inherited from a Master QM Project Area. The user has a role (Test Team Member) in the Team Area that enables the Save Test Case Edit and Edit Section Header permissions, same thing for Save Test Suite.

At the Project Area level, the user's role (Test Contributor) does not allow any actions under Save Test Case or Save Test Suite. When we grant the Test Team Member or Test Lead roles to the user at the Project Area Level, then they are able to edit and update the Test Case name from the Test Case section of the Test Suite view.

Brett Bohnn commented Oct 10 '15, 5:05 p.m.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detail. I see the same in 6.0 ifix003.

I have the identical permissions for Save Test Plan as Save Test Suite, Save Test Case (enable Edit and Edit Section Header only for Test Team Member in the Team Area) and I can edit test cases from the test plan but not the test suite. Can  you test that as well?

Thanks,
Brett

permanent link
Brett Bohnn (94111153) | answered Oct 10 '15, 5:04 p.m.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detail. I see the same in 6.0 ifix003.

I have the identical permissions for Save Test Plan as Save Test Suite, Save Test Case (enable Edit and Edit Section Header only for Test Team Member in the Team Area) and I can edit test cases from the test plan but not the test suite. Can  you test that as well?

Thanks,
Brett

permanent link
Brett Bohnn (94111153) | answered Oct 13 '15, 8:52 p.m.
Hi Chris,

I submitted https://jazz.net/jazz02/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/143102 and subscribed you. Please take a look, I attached a video reproducing as well.

Thanks,
Brett

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.