It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Querying on custom string field from RTC web -> exists condition still returns work items with blank field

Corey Jacobs (642439) | asked Aug 27 '15, 1:08 p.m.
We are currently using RTC 4.0.7.  We have a custom attribute 'Impacted Customers' that's a medium string for defects.  We would like to query on this field when it's filled in with Customer name.  There's a saved query with filter on 'Impacted Customers' with condition set to exists.  However, from web RTC, this query doesn't work and all defects are returned regardless if the 'Impacted Customers' is blank or not.  From Eclipse, this query works.  I tried both Firefox (38.2) and Chrome (44.0.2403.157)with no luck. 

Comments
Donald Nong commented Aug 28 '15, 2:21 a.m.

This works perfectly in RTC 5.0.2 - all work items containing such attribute, regardless the attribute contains something or nothing, are returned in the result set. I cannot find any work items that may have addressed this issue though (re: 4.0.7 > 5.0.2).

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 28 '15, 7:26 a.m.
Exists means, does this attribute exist in this workitem.  If you added this field later and didn't synch all the workitems, then you could use this query to find the workitems either with or without this attribute.
it has nothing to do with contents of the field.

I think the eclipse query is a defect.

medium string, you should be able to say 'is empty' or not, or contains...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.