It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC equivalent commandline functions for perforce

Rick Patterson (40148) | asked Jul 07 '09, 5:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello.

We are investigating moving from Perforce as a SCM to RTC. We have installed the RTC server and clients, and are surveying which scm.exe client commandline sub-commands would be equivalent to the followng p4 commands we presently use. Would anyone have experienced this migration before, and have such a mapping?

p4 sub-commands to migrate in automation scripts:

add
branch
branches
change
changes
changelist
client
counter
counters
delete
describe
dirs
edit
filelog
files
flush
fstat
info
integrate
have
label
labelsync
lock
login
opened
print
rename
reopen
revert
review
set
submit
sync
where

8 answers

permanent link
Christophe Elek (2.9k13021) | answered Jul 09 '09, 7:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
rick.patterson@ca.ibm-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (rick.patterson.jazz.net)
wrote in news:h30ebh$qb2$3@localhost.localdomain:

Would anyone have experienced this
migration before, and have such a mapping?

can you ping me direct ?

--
Christophe Elek
Jazz L3
IBM Software Group - Rational

permanent link
Rick Patterson (40148) | answered Jul 10 '09, 10:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, again. As a related question, would any know whether it is likely more feasiable to consider using the Java API interface instead of the command line client to obtain equivalent mapping to the p4 functions we presently use?

Hello.

We are investigating moving from Perforce as a SCM to RTC. We have installed the RTC server and clients, and are surveying which scm.exe client commandline sub-commands would be equivalent to the followng p4 commands we presently use. Would anyone have experienced this migration before, and have such a mapping?

p4 sub-commands to migrate in automation scripts:

add
branch
branches
change
changes
changelist
client
counter
counters
delete
describe
dirs
edit
filelog
files
flush
fstat
info
integrate
have
label
labelsync
lock
login
opened
print
rename
reopen
revert
review
set
submit
sync
where

permanent link
Martin Bailey (6685) | answered Jul 20 '09, 12:46 p.m.
Did anything come of this ? We would also be interested in Jazz equivalents for the P4 command line.

permanent link
Rick Patterson (40148) | answered Jul 20 '09, 1:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Did anything come of this ? We would also be interested in Jazz equivalents for the P4 command line.

HI, yes, we have started building our pwn mappings, this is what we have so far. Excuse the formatting, but there is a tab charcater between the first column for p4 and the second column for TC:

p4 function RTC - using scm client

specify depot: -p server:port -r https://server:port/path (-n named_repo)
specify user: -u p4_user -u ibm_intranet_userid
specify password: -P p4_user-pw -P password
add "step 1: share
step 2: checkin "
branch no equivalent command
branches list streams
"change
(changelist is a synonym)" "create changeset
changeset (edit a change set)
discard (delete existing change set)"
changes "status (show pending changes)
history (show past changes for file or component)"
client "create workspace
workspace (edit attributes of a workspace)"
counter no equivalent command
counters no equivalent command
delete "load (get local copy)
checkin (check in local directory)"
describe history -v | grep
dirs list remotefiles (shows files too)
edit "load (get local copy)
checkin (check in local directory)"
filelog history -v (timestamps are not displayed)
files list remotefiles (shows directories too)
flush no equivalent command
fstat no equivalent command
info version (shows client version only)
integrate accept
have no equivalent command
label create baseline
labelsync no equivalent command
lock lock
login login
opened status -C
print no equivalent command
rename checkin (after renaming files/folders outside of RTC)
reopen changeset relocate
revert discard
review no equivalent command
set login
submit deliver
sync load
where no equivalent command

permanent link
Rajshekar Iyer (51133) | answered May 10 '10, 1:44 p.m.
Hi,

We are trying to migrate from perforce to RTC. Rick, did your team go thru this migration? Did you migrate existing code and history to RTC? I will appreciate if you can provide any information.

-Shekar

permanent link
William Harms (62) | answered Aug 03 '10, 1:56 p.m.
Rick,
Our company is looking at trying to implement the full set of JAZZ products (RTC, RQM, The modeling tool, etc.) We are facing the same problem you are. A migration from P4 to RTC while maintaining our P4 Jobs and Revision history and changelist meta data.

Both could be relatively easy to script __if__ there was a mature RTC command line intefrace. I and our team are becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of a good command line environment. (Especially with what P4, ClearCase, Subversion, and most other tools have.)

I completely sympothise with your point of: no equivalent command

And the only answer that I can think of is writing a bit of java to talk to the rest services.. However, the problem is that I can't find Javadoc on any of this stuff.. Or any "hello world" type of sample to do this.

It's truly a shame because RTC does so many things so well..

In my pursuit of converting P4 artifacts into RTC ones I'll track this thread and share any information that I can.

Just a tip.. We are looking at bouncing our P4 depot through a Subversion converstion then using the RTC adapter to "suck in" the details into RTC source control. We are in the process of setting up that environment I'll let you know how it goes. (I'm a little curious what the "Source Control" project folder will look like once we convert all of our task branches..)

Thanks Rick,
Bill

permanent link
Michael DiFulvio (11) | answered Aug 04 '10, 9:24 a.m.
I too am working a large Perforce migration project to RTC. The question of the actual source tree migration including history is always a subject for migration. In this case the current approach we will soon test is as follows:

1) Via the Perl script P42syn.pl which is a well know conversion script found on the CollabNet.com Web Site and others will convert Perforce to Subversion with all history! I downloaded the script from: http://p42svn.tigris.org/
2) Take the new SVN Dump file that the script produced and prepare to import to your RTC instance.
3) On the RTC Client press File..Import. On the Select page expand Jazz Source Control and select SVN Dump File. Press next and enter your new SVN Dump File that the Perl script produced for you. This will import the SVN Dump file containing all your Perforce source elements with history into the RTC repository!

Please understand that this is work in process here on this project but I have performed the migration from Perforce to Subversion several times using the p42svn.pl script! The vendor tells me the Import of a SVN Dump file is solid and should produce what we need.

We do not expect to test this plan till about September this year as we have many other tasks to complete before we migrate the actual source with history. If you do follow this approach please do let the Forum know what your experience was using this plan!

Best of luck!!

-----mikeD (Michael Di Fulvio)

permanent link
Dana Maxfield (2346) | answered Jul 06 '11, 3:52 p.m.

We do not expect to test this plan till about September this year as we have many other tasks to complete before we migrate the actual source with history. If you do follow this approach please do let the Forum know what your experience was using this plan!

-----mikeD (Michael Di Fulvio)

I am just beginning my investigation of migrating from Perforce to RTC. A few people mentioned in this thread that they were looking into or about to start a conversion from Perforce as well. I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on the process they followed, any warnings, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Dana John

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.