It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Compare with local takes too long

Travis Hyatt (611115) | asked Jul 07 '09, 5:08 p.m.
Hello all...

What troubleshooting steps might I take to figure out why comparing a historical revision to a file with my local file takes fifteen minutes?

We are using the Visual Studio client for RTC. I right click the file in Solution Explorer and click Show History. This particular file has only four revisions. In the History pane I choose the oldest revision, right click and Compare with Local. The progress bar sits at about 20% for 15 minutes before it finally displays the Compare and Merge window.

If I right click the file in Solution Explorer and do a compare with previous, there are no changes (as expected) but this returns almost immediately. For local files with changes, the Compare and Merge window appears within seconds.

Our server is installed on a Virtual windows 2003 server, so I'm suspicious of that right off the bat. Not sure what reasoning IT had for putting this on a virtual server. Other things are slow, but never has any activity taken 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'm looking for information about how to troubleshoot to see if this is hardware, software, network traffic, etc. Hopefully it's the virtual server and we can have them move it to a physical machine.

4 answers

permanent link
Travis Hyatt (611115) | answered Jul 07 '09, 5:17 p.m.
Also, using the Compare With Other option in the history window takes a very long time as well. However, if I browse the repository files via the Eclipse client, and compare the same two historical revisions, the comparison window comes up in under one second.

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Jul 08 '09, 1:30 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The best way to approach this is to open a work item against the Visual
Studio Client in the RTC project area. To do this, you can go to
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=jazz.viewPage&id=com.ibm.team.workitem.

Michael

travman wrote:
Also, using the Compare With Other option in the history window takes
a very long time as well. However, if I browse the repository files
via the Eclipse client, and compare the same two historical
revisions, the comparison window comes up in under one second.

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jul 09 '09, 7:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Travis, we'll check this on a 1.0.1.1 install and see if we can reproduce this. I tried it on 2.0 and it works fast from both the History View and the Solution explorer. The files I tried with had approx 15 versions each - one was a cs file and the other a cto file.
Do you see this with all file types?
Finally, would you please log a work item like Michael suggested, that'd help us have a tracked discussion.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=jazz.viewPage&id=com.ibm.team.workitem.

Michael

travman wrote:

permanent link
Priyadarshini Gorur (3313) | answered Jul 09 '09, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I couldn't reproduce the problem with 1.0.1.1 too, am using a local server, and had 3 history entries for this C# file. I tried both Compare with Local and Other, when the file was both checked in and in the case where the file was unresolved, all from the History view, and each of them was as fast as it was from Solution Explorer.

Travis, we'll check this on a 1.0.1.1 install and see if we can reproduce this. I tried it on 2.0 and it works fast from both the History View and the Solution explorer. The files I tried with had approx 15 versions each - one was a cs file and the other a cto file.
Do you see this with all file types?
Finally, would you please log a work item like Michael suggested, that'd help us have a tracked discussion.

Michael

travman wrote:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.