It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Scaling Jazz: How many members could be in a project area?

Shawn Lauzon (38174) | asked Nov 16 '07, 12:47 p.m.
closed Feb 08 '18, 5:15 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646)
I'm wondering how much Jazz can scale with respect to number of users. I would estimate we have around 400 developers and testers all working on a single project with a single schedule. Of course, they are all broken down into much smaller teams, and each would likely have their own team area. However, it seems that the project manager would need to have a view (at some level) of the entire project, and so everyone would need to be connected to a single project area, with a single schedule and a top-level iteration plan.

Does anyone have an idea if Jazz can, or will eventually, be able to scale to this level? Or is there a separate topology that I could use to organize which would help? Unfortunately, there needs to be a view of the entire release, and I don't see much capability to span project areas.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance ...

shawn.

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by rschoon Feb 08 '18, 5:15 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dave Thomson (14612) | answered Nov 20 '07, 3:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Jazz server architecture is designed to scale to that many users and even quite a lot more, but for 1.0 we are conservatively aiming at about 100 users per server on off the shelf 2-processor PC server HW, although we are running 200 users internally right now on AIX. We envision an enterprise version of the Jazz server coming out post-1.0 that is designed to scale to much larger teams, and probably with additional enterprise security and cross-project capabilities, although we are still working on the precise definition. However it looks like the scaling and cross-project capabilities are the two main issues you are pushing on. We are working on laying out the recommended configurations for 1.0 and expect to have more on this in the next few months.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Thomas Kirstätter commented Feb 08 '18, 4:20 a.m.

Hello, I try to just revive this question, as it already fits very well, but I have more concrete numbers:

Will there be a performance impact if we add >5000 Users with Everyone role to a PA in RTC/DNG/RQM?