It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS NG cannot create artifact or folder

Narayanan Potti (27037279) | asked May 26 '15, 5:36 p.m.
edited May 26 '15, 6:47 p.m.
Hello DOORS NG experts

I installed CLM 5.0.2 on Windows server 2008 R2, database is Oracle 11.2.0.3.

I created a project in test installation of DOORS NG using Apache Tomcat and Derby, exported the project template as .archive file and imported into the live environment. Using this project template in the live environment I created new project. In the new project I am unable to create new folder or new artifact. I checked permissions for Author and Administrator in the new project and these roles have permission to create new folder. I have Author and Administrator roles in the project in live environment.

Please help ASAP.

Thanks
NP

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 26 '15, 7:44 p.m.

Do you receive an error or other messages? What is the exact symptom?

Narayanan Potti commented May 26 '15, 8:51 p.m.

There's no error in DOORS NG. When I click on the pencil icon to the right of folder it all options are greyed out.

lakshmi shree commented Jul 27 '15, 2:10 p.m. | edited Jul 28 '15, 12:49 a.m.

Hello NP and Erica

I have the same problem but I am still using DOORS NG in a trial environment. Please find my question as below :

I am installing the DOORS Next Generation for the second time now and I am unable to perform any operation such as create, modify, insert after/before/child of any artifacts . Also, the Import or upload artifact option does not even show up in the Artifact menu option. The first time I installed DOORS NG on my machine I was able to view all the options and perform all operations.But now I am unable to do anything in DOORS without the creation of artifacts. Any help soon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered May 28 '15, 2:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello NP,
Verify the user has the proper license to work with RM.  Also if using team areas, make sure the user is not restricted by permissions in the team area.  Are you receiving any errors in the UI or logs?  Or are the options just grayed out?

Narayanan Potti selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Narayanan Potti commented Jun 01 '15, 3:59 p.m. | edited Jun 01 '15, 3:59 p.m.

Hi Erica

First sentence in your answer hit spot on my problem. DOORS NG Analyst licenses had expired. From that point I believe the users who were assigned Analyst licenses had read-only privileges. Users could view the requirements however they could not create a new folder or create a new requirement.

We've not been using team area in DOORS NG.

Thanks a lot
NP

One other answer

permanent link
Lonnie VanZandt (88517) | answered Sep 08 '16, 1:38 p.m.
 In CLM 6.0.2, I ran into the same confusion. The RM DNG web service appears fully operational yet the JazzAdmin user or a lowly JazzUser project member can do nothing but browse existing content. All UI elements that would normally offer Create or Update operations either are not present, have grey menu content, or use a shade of blue that is perhaps merely 2-bits of white whiter than the enabled blue color. There is no feedback to the user that the reason for this clearly Modification-Disabled state is that the current user lacks a license to contribute content.

Then, to compound the confusion, the variety of classes of licensed user (e.g. Practitioner, Stakeholder, Analyst, Developer, Contributor, etc, etc) and the different abilities afforded by each of those is overwhelming. (For example, to "contribute" something to a web service, rational people would assume that to mean that the contributor can create new content or modify existing content. However, for Rational developers, "contribute" appears to mean "observe".)

To gain write access into DNG, there must be an active Analyst license for RM -- or an active CLM Developer license for the suite, there must be a Role that grants write operations to licensed users, the current user has to be a member of that role, AND the current user has to have been allocated that crucial RM Analyst or CLM Developer license.

Ok, I can appreciate the great flexibility that this empowers an organization to limit who can do what. However, there really must be notification in the UI that informs the poor user or project admin who wanders into an RM project that the reason Create and Update are not available is because rights, roles, and licenses are not all adequately granted to the user to do so.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.