It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC floating license with Eclipse client

Charlie Seo (22127) | asked May 08 '15, 2:20 a.m.
Hi,

It's been found when eclipse client is used with floating license, deliver action (suspected any SCM related action would return the same behaviour) triggers license consumption for everyone who logged into the eclipse client even without any operaton performed.

Checked the following 2 references and it seems it contradicts to each other so a bit confused.

https://jazz.net/library/article/347
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/JazzLicensingExplained

Using floating developer licenses, this behaviour ends up exceeding the total number of license easily and it does not deliver the value of using floating.

Can this be considered as design fault or is there any other way to prevent any inactive user in the eclipse client to check out license?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 08 '15, 4:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I assume by "everyone who logged into the eclipse client", you mean "everyone who logged in to an RTC server repository connection from an eclipse client"?   The eclipse client periodically polls the RTC server to refresh information about objects cached in the eclipse client, so I can imagine that if the state of a stream in the pending changes view is modified by a deliver, that could result in the license being refreshed in order to retrieve that new state.   That's just a guess, though.

Comments
Charlie Seo commented May 11 '15, 8:37 p.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for the input. From the behaviour we observed, it seems like the case. The actual question is under usage of Floating developer license, this causes excessive licenses to be checked out so it does not work well with the intention to use the floating license. Can anybody in the development explain what would be the exact usage model of floating developer license and if this can be considered as a matter to be addressed?

Donald Nong commented May 12 '15, 1:21 a.m.

Charlie, I think that's the expected behavior. As long as RTC checks for SCM information periodically (or implicitly by some operations), the license will be refreshed and the timeout starts all over again. To avoid it, try to disable the auto-refresh (although I don't know how many places you need to do this). Or manually disconnect from the connection repository. The floating concept makes perfect sense to me, particularly when you have developers working in different time slots.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.