It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Script XML format for Expected Result

Ryan Schmitz (2666) | asked Jun 07 '09, 11:08 p.m.
First, I am glad to see the Expected Result field added to Test scripts, but I need to know, what is the XML tag used for the Expected Result field when importing Test Scripts via xml such as those found in the Samples folder *_TS.xml?

4 answers

permanent link
Ryan Schmitz (2666) | answered Jun 16 '09, 11:30 a.m.
Please this is important for me to convince our QA team to switch to RQM.

Our team currently uses Compuware QADirector, and I have been able to transfer all of our test assets by using SQL Queries to pull data from QAD, and using macros to convert that data to the XML format RQM prefers, but before the Expected Results field was available, I was forced to make each QAD step, 2 steps, an execution step and verification step, but the team thought it was too sloppy and doubled the size of our Scripts.

Now that there is an Expected Results field, I can fix that workaround, and make the transition easier for the team to accept.

So if anyone knows the XML tag for the Expected Results field in a *_TS.xml file, please let me know.

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Jun 16 '09, 5:11 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It's definitely a little bit hokey due to some embedded HTML but it is do-able.
The general hierarchy is
<testscript>
<steps>
<step>
<expectedResult><div>RESULT</div></expectedResult>

Also, a good tool for playing around with the API is the "Poster" firefox add-on.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2691
A good pattern is to create an asset in the RQM UI with the data that you are interested in, then do a "GET" from the REST API on that asset. You'll then see the actual data for the asset that the API expects.
Good luck!
Regards,
John

Our team currently uses Compuware QADirector, and I have been able to transfer all of our test assets by using SQL Queries to pull data from QAD, and using macros to convert that data to the XML format RQM prefers, but before the Expected Results field was available, I was forced to make each QAD step, 2 steps, an execution step and verification step, but the team thought it was too sloppy and doubled the size of our Scripts.

Now that there is an Expected Results field, I can fix that workaround, and make the transition easier for the team to accept.

So if anyone knows the XML tag for the Expected Results field in a *_TS.xml file, please let me know.

permanent link
Ryan Schmitz (2666) | answered Jun 16 '09, 5:20 p.m.
Oh thanks so much, that worked. I can't believe I never came up with that, I tried every combination of expectedResults, expected_Result, etc I could think of.

Thanks for the heads up on the Firefox addon, there were other tags I've been trying to figure out, so that will help.

Ryan

It's definitely a little bit hokey due to some embedded HTML but it is do-able.
The general hierarchy is
<testscript>
<steps>
<step>
<expectedResult><div>RESULT</div></expectedResult>

Also, a good tool for playing around with the API is the "Poster" firefox add-on.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2691
A good pattern is to create an asset in the RQM UI with the data that you are interested in, then do a "GET" from the REST API on that asset. You'll then see the actual data for the asset that the API expects.
Good luck!
Regards,
John

permanent link
Gaurav Vig (133) | answered Aug 07 '13, 11:47 a.m.
Hi Ryan,

Can you help me understand how you converted your scripts from the Compuware tool to the XML format RQM prefers?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.