It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Component with Visibility as "Private" could not be searched

Kulvinder Singh (624) | asked Apr 21 '15, 8:34 a.m.
edited Oct 18 '16, 11:37 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
We have "Ensure Component Names are Unique" operation behaviour set in our Server means Server shall restrict the naming 2 components with the same name.

So, if I have created a component with Name as AB_Comp_12 then no other user on that server would be able to create a new component with the same name i.e. AB_Comp_12

Now consider the case, where I set the visibility of AB_Comp_12 as Private. When other user wants to create a new component with AB_Comp_12 name, server will not allow. But, if the other user wants to check, where is the existing component AB_Comp_12 and who is the owner etc. then HOW can he/she get that Information?

Is there any search option to look for components with visibility as Private?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Oct 17 '16, 7:05 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 17 '16, 7:07 p.m.
Kulvinder,
With RTC v6.0.1, you can now search for components that are private. See the following example in the RTC 6.0.1 New & Noteworthy page: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/6.0.1?p=news#access-groups

using the CLI command,
scm list components --visibility <arg>

where <arg> can be one of the following: public, private, projectarea, teamarea, accessgroup.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kulvinder Singh commented Oct 18 '16, 3:33 a.m. | edited Oct 18 '16, 11:36 a.m.

Hello Rosa,

This command helps us to set the visibility of components to Private, Public . . .. access group. What I am looking for is the General Search by a user to locate all components in the repository where visibility is set as Private.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 18 '16, 11:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Assuming you search for all private components owned by a user read the CLI description. https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/list_components.html&scope=null

See -c, --contrib <arg> : The user id of the contributor to query about.

Note that you definitely need JazzAdmin repository permissions to search for stuff that your access groups won't allow you to see.

Hareesh Jairaj commented Jan 03 '19, 7:36 a.m.

How can i fetch the private components of a particular project instead of fetching across the repository.

One other answer

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Apr 21 '15, 6:55 p.m.
You can use the menu Search->Jazz Source Control->Components.... This will  open "Search for Components" dialog where you can specify the search criteria and find your component.

Comments
Kulvinder Singh commented Apr 21 '15, 10:41 p.m.

With this option, can I search a component which is owned by you and visibility is set as "Private" by you.
This search criteria may help me to locate Private components owned by me but I need to locate a "Private" component owned by you.

Surya Tripathi commented Apr 22 '15, 2:41 p.m.

Hi Kulvinder

This is a security feature. You need to be admin to be able to search private components. When you create a component and set the owner as you and restrict its visibility to private, no other users are allowed to see your component. Users are advised to use discretion in creating private components. If other components in the stream are going to use your private component, you should be careful in designating your component as private. Please take a moment to read this article on read protecting project areas, components and files - https://jazz.net/library/article/215

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 18 '16, 3:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To be precise, you need the Repository Role JazzAdmin to see other persons private objects.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.