It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are multiple SCM saved connections supported?

Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | asked Apr 08 '15, 4:06 p.m.
I'm seeing odd behavior when trying to save multiple sets of credentials via scm login.

I have two repository servers that I'm trying to work with, I'll call them A & B. A is the canonical repository and B is a squid proxy that is fronting A. We use B primarily for the SCM performance benefits, as A is at a remote site from our build engines and a significant portion of our development team.

Certain operations, like loading, I want to work with B (the squid proxy); other operations where the data can't be cached I want to work with A directly. My problem is that I can't seem to save login credentials for both repositories. If I login to A, I can see the login is saved (scm list connections shows one entry). If I subsequently login to B only the credentials for B are saved (scm list connections shows the B entry only).

Is this the expected behavior? If so, why?

2 answers

permanent link
Greg Pflaum (67913) | answered Apr 08 '15, 7:25 p.m.
The saved credentials are stored in $HOME/.jazz-scm/repositories.txt, one line per repository. It looks like the last value on each line is a uuid that uniquely identifies the repository. When you login with a different url for the same repository, the old line with that uuid is removed.

You should be able to work around this by using the --config option to specify a different folder instead of $HOME/.jazz-scm. Use --config with one folder when you work with server A and a different folder when you work with server B. (Or leave one using the default path.)

I'd be interested to hear whether you see a significant performance difference when avoiding the proxy for operations that can't be cached.

Comments
Jeff Care commented Apr 09 '15, 9:40 a.m.

For my own curiosity, any reason why it behaves like that? Could I store credentials for two different users against the same repository?

It seems like if RTC knows the actual, real backend that I'm talking to then I should be able to store one set of creds and have those creds work whether I'm talking to a proxy or the real thing. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

I could see how having multiple .jazz-scm folders could fix this, but frankly it would be rather cumbersome in our use case; doable but inconvenient.

I don't have good, hard numbers about the performance difference of direct vs. proxy for non-cacheable data, but anecdotally it seems significant. For our personal builds we do a number of scm status, scm list components and scm list remotefiles calls (see defect 328755) and through the proxy we are at least a few minutes slower.

Greg Pflaum commented Apr 09 '15, 10:16 a.m.

Sorry, I don't know why stored credentials work that way. I'm an RTC administrator, not an RTC developer.

permanent link
DJ Houghton (2663) | answered May 28 '15, 1:28 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I had similar issues a few weeks ago - I had 2 servers installed on the same machine (different ports) so I could test a distributed environment. But the CLI client would only let me be logged into one server on localhost at a time.

I opened a work item for this issue and you can follow along at:
   https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/356515

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.