It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build failing with "no space left on device"

Kevin van Houten (1111) | asked Apr 02 '15, 5:10 p.m.
We use RTC for code development and for promoting code from Development to QA to Production.
Out of the blue, suddenly our builds for moving the pieces around are failing with what appears to be disk space issues in the error messages.  This happens when moving stuff from the local repository workspace into the stream, or when going from the stream to the Dev server or from the stream to the QA server or whenever.  Below is an error message that is typical of what is going on.

None of the machines involved have any actual shortage of disk space in any of the volumes, /tmp included.  The fact that it suddenly started doing the same thing everywhere, when it wasn't doing it through yesterday, leads me to believe it is not actually a disk space issue anywhere but that is the way some issue is interpreted by the RTC system. 

If anybody may know what is going on I'd really appreciate a pointer.  I looked over scores of different questions and answers on here so far and haven't been able to come up with anything solid to go on.

I am not a java maven myself, but I am pretty experienced with 'using' RTC to facilitate the editing and promotion ina fairly involved set of projects. 

2015-04-02 15:40:57 [Jazz build engine] running on host: co9053112151
2015-04-02 15:40:57 [Jazz build engine] Should build occur?
2015-04-02 15:40:57 [Jazz build engine] Yes: Always build a user initiated request.
2015-04-02 15:40:58 [Jazz build engine] Invoking pre-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm"
2015-04-02 15:40:58 [Jazz build engine] Accepting changes into workspace "CIP Development continous build Workspace" ...
2015-04-02 15:41:00 [Jazz build engine] Deleting fetch destination "/home/isstspt/build/iscip" before fetching ...
2015-04-02 15:41:01 [Jazz build engine] Fetching files to fetch destination "/home/isstspt/build/iscip" ...
com.ibm.team.build.internal.scm.SourceControlUtility$3: Status ERROR: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 There were errors during download.  It is recommended that components be reloaded.  The reload will be incremental, loading only the missing items.  You can further reduce the reload time by reloading just the projects out of sync. null children=[Status ERROR: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Failed to download /Documentation/documentation/Architecture Design Artifacts/ISCIP Infrastructure Architecture.pdf com.ibm.team.repository.common.InternalRepositoryException: No space left on device]
    at com.ibm.team.build.internal.scm.SourceControlUtility.updateFileCopyArea(SourceControlUtility.java:693)
    at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.preBuild(JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.java:238)
    at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop.invokePreBuildParticipants(BuildLoop.java:934)
    at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop$2.run(BuildLoop.java:740)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:853)
Contains : 0 Failed to download /Documentation/documentation/Architecture Design Artifacts/ISCIP Infrastructure Architecture.pdf
com.ibm.team.repository.common.InternalRepositoryException: No space left on device

Comments
Kevin van Houten commented Apr 02 '15, 5:13 p.m. | edited Apr 02 '15, 5:13 p.m.

I want to make sure you know I have tried the reloading and such recommended in the error message description...but it keeps bringing up the same thing when I do.

I have stopped, cleared out and restarted the java build engines on the servers involved...and the issue is still there everywhere.

It is acting like something from the RTC server end somehow...I just don't know anywhere further to look.

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 03 '15, 1:09 a.m.
Check out this post.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/175813/edc5133i-no-space-left-on-device-during-dependency-build

Reloading will not help. Make sure you have enough space for "/home/isstspt/build/iscip".

Comments
Kevin van Houten commented Apr 03 '15, 8:31 a.m.

As I said - all filesystems have scores of gigabytes of more space than necessary - including that home directory.

permanent link
Kevin van Houten (1111) | answered Apr 03 '15, 8:31 a.m.
...and of course this morning the RTC builds are all working like normal...
nothing changed on any of the targets but everything is working like it is supposed to.

Sunspots, right?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Apr 06 '15, 8:50 p.m.

"Nothing changed" may not be valid since the system is ever changing, depending on how you look at it. You can try to look into the Linux/Unix system log and see if it gives any hints why the file system did not allow certain files to be created at certain times.

Kevin van Houten commented Apr 07 '15, 9:10 a.m.

"Nothing Changed"  on all three systems involved simultaneously. 
None of these three systems had ever done "this thing" before.
None of these systems have anything going on in their systems that would keep an account from writing to their own home directory or /tmp on a random Thursday in early April. I am admin on two of these machines.
The fact that it happened on all three systems simultaneously and then stopped happening on all three systems simultaneously is heavily indicative  of something 'changing' at the RTC server end of things. 

Donald Nong commented Apr 08 '15, 1:39 a.m.

"No space left on device" is a typical Linux error message and it is natural to think that the error is reported by the Linux system to RTC when it tries to copy files to the Linux system. If RTC server is the only thing common to all three systems in your environment, of course we will think there is something wrong with the RTC server. But what could it be? I can only imagine that the RTC server just went crazy and got the file size all wrong when trying to copy the files. If it's indeed the case, I don't know how it could recover itself. You can also look for other things common to the three systems. For example, do they happen to use the same storage system? At the end of the day, you have the complete information at your disposal while others on the forum don't. And others can only make suggestions based on the information that you reveal.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.