It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to migrate BuildForge from v7.1.3 to the latest v8.0.0.2?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | asked Mar 10 '15, 8:21 p.m.
edited Mar 10 '15, 8:28 p.m.
Currently we have CCCQBF all in their v7.1.x and we want to upgrade them all to the latest v8. We plan to use all new hardwares so it will be a data migration rather than upgrading the products. Now all products are installed on Windows and it will remains the same platform. All products has clients in mainframe and Windows, BF has Unix agents too.

So for BF, let's say we will install the new v8 Mgmt console on another machine, can I make it connect to the existing v7 DB2 database (assume we can upgrade DB2 to a new version compatible to v8 if required)? Or I shall make a copy of the existing database and connect it to the new v8 installation (this is be preferred so I can keep the existing environment for rollback).

Or shall we upgrade BF in the existing hardware then move it to the new hardware? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks
Jirong

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kyungmo Jung (41) | answered Mar 18 '15, 8:42 p.m.
Hello Jiron,

BF v8.x supports DB 9.1.,9.5.9.7,10.1,  not v7. And v7.1.x also does not support DB v7.
For the system requirements, database upgrade should done before Build Forge upgrade.

BF upgrades database schema when the upgrade from v7.1.x because v8 added tables for MJC engine.

I would like to recommend below steps.
  1. Backup existing database by db2 tools (export, back/restore, move ...etc) or full backup. please get consulation from your DB2 administrator. Backup database is always critical to rollback when anything goes wrong.

2. Upgrade to or install compatible DB2 version.
   3. Import or restore backup Build Forge database into new version of DB2(when new installation of DB2)
   next, there could be two ways;
       option-1;
       4. Install same version of current in new systems
       5  Upgrade Build Forge in new system
          or
       option-2;
       4. Upgrade existing Build Forge system(in current system)
       5. Install Build Forge v8 in NEW systems WITHOUT "fill database" option
            (this only install Build Forge v8 software without processing database)

*) please don't forget to backup customized scripts and all configuration files when you update existing Build Forge(option-2) .
       A good idea is backup current Build Forge installation directory and registry keys.

Thanks,
Kyungmo Jung
Jirong Hu selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Mar 26 '15, 8:59 p.m.

Thank you very much for such a detailed step, this is exactly what I want. One more question, after step 5, the BF is newly install with no data? How I can connect it to the upgraded database in step 1,2,3.

Jirong

Jirong Hu commented Mar 31 '15, 8:04 p.m.

Thank you very much again. Currently we are in the planning stage, might come back with more questions during the actual execution. 

5 other answers

permanent link
Kyungmo Jung (41) | answered Mar 31 '15, 3:02 a.m.
Hello Jiron,

Build Forge database connection information is stored in buildforge.conf. However, the location of buildforge.conf is different in v8.

You don't need to change database connection after installation of v8 because it is determined during Installation or upgrade. Build Forge Installation/Upgrade will not proceed unless database connection test is pass.

Database connection is same if you upgrade DB2 version. And it will be changed if you will install new version of DB2 and import old Build Forge database.

1. in v7.x, two buildforge.conf files were in
    - <Build Forge Installation>\buildforge.conf
    - <Build Forge Installation>\Apache\tomcat\webapps\rbf-services\WEB-INF\classebuildforge.conf

The first one is for Perl based Build Forge engine(actually, buildforge.exe) and second one is for Service Layer(port 3966).

2. in v8, also buildforge.conf files are in two locations,
     - <Build Forge Installation>\buildforge.conf   (for Perl Based engine, it will not  be used when you use MJC, but it still used for other Perl based utilities, export,import).
     - Another buildforge.conf is NOW stored in Build Forge web application archive file('com.ibm.jas-1.0.jar') at C:\IBM\BF\bf80023_0066\Apache\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\jas\eclipse\plugins. You have to follow "EXACTLY" below reference manual if you need to change database connection.

Please refer to Build Forge Information Center v8;
     http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB2MV_8.0.0/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.doc/topics/config_buildforge_updating_file.html?lang=en

Thanks,
Kyungmo

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Mar 31 '15, 8:04 p.m.

Thank you very much again. Currently we are in the planning stage, might come back with more questions during the actual execution.  

Jirong Hu commented Aug 14 '15, 1:25 p.m.

Hi Kyungmo, there isn't enough space here, so I asked my question below.

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | answered Aug 14 '15, 1:25 p.m.
edited Aug 14 '15, 1:32 p.m.
 Hi Kyungmo

We try to follow option 1, but the BF can't be installed on the new server. Our new OS is Windows 2012, doesn't supported in BF v7.1. So the only choice we have is option 2?

To restate, currently we have BF 7.1.1 (on Windows 2003) with DB2 9 (on AIX). Now want to move everything to a new BF v8 server(Windows 2012) with DB2 10 (AIX), a new BF Mgmt Console server and new DB2 10 server, like a complete copy. Not upgrading the existing system.

Questions on option 2, so the procedure is:

We've done the following:
1. Copy DB2 9 BF database and loaded into a DB2 10 BF database.

Next we shall:
1.Change the existing BF database to point to the new copied DB2 10
2. Upgrade the existing BF 7.1.1 to BF v8, which will upgrade the new DB2 10 database schema. (I guess all the trouble is the schema in the BF database changed when upgrading from v7 to v8?)
3. Install the new BF v8 on the new Windows 2012 server. What's the different to "fill database" here from doing the step 4?)
4. Change buildforge.config to point to the copied database in DB2 10.

Is this right?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jirong

permanent link
Kyungmo Jung (41) | answered Aug 16 '15, 11:51 p.m.
Hello Jiron,

In general, your steps are correct but you needs to more steps. Please see below information.

1. Before step.2(Upgrade existing BF v7 schema to v8), v7.1.1 needs to be upgraded to at least v7.1.1.3 first.
    (please see http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB2MV_8.0.0/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.doc/topics/upgrade_console_update_install.html)
   a. BF v7.1.1.3 is the minimal requirement for upgrading to v8. (to do this at current version in BF7.1.1/W2003 system)
   b. It is required to modify buildforge.conf file at Build Forge home directory and another one is at tomcat directory where Build Forge Service is running.
   c. this upgrade will upgrade database schema to v8

2. Pointing new (Upgraded) database when installing V8 in new system(Windows 2012) with option "No" populate database.
   If "yes" populate database option, Installation manager will fail to install Build Forge because it detects database/schema is already filled with data.
   ("Fill database" option loas initial data to database).

3. You don't need to modify buildforge.conf files in new system(v8/Windows 2012) because V8 installation will configure with new database configuration.

Thanks,
Kyungmo Jung

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Oct 25 '15, 10:25 a.m.

Hi Kyungmo

Just to let you know, overall the procedure works, just a small issue for this:
 option-2; 
       4. Upgrade existing Build Forge system(in current system) 

This upgraded our existing BF to v8, but we want to keep the existing v7 environment intact so in the case of migration failure, we don't need to do anything but keep using the v7 system. 

To resolve this, I am thinking maybe we shall duplicate the existing the BF mgmt and db to exercise the upgrade.

Naveen V commented May 12 '16, 4:17 p.m.

@Jirong Hu, How did you managed it? I am also having the same scenario. I have BF  7.1.3 and CQ 7.1.2.06. Even we have Reqpro 7.1.2.06 but we are not using it so I am going uninstall it in existing system. I am getting the new box so that I can install CQ 8 and BuildForge 8 and then point to the existing databases. Does it work? Do I need to follow BF upgrade steps? If so what I need to do for upgrade? Can you guide me on it.

Thanks

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | answered May 12 '16, 5:11 p.m.
 @Naveen Vaddepalli, yes, it worked. We've migrated the BF 7 to 8, and linked it to the existing CCCQ v7 UCM. Next we are going to upgrade CCCQ v7 to v8. Look for the details in this post.

Comments
Naveen V commented May 13 '16, 9:16 a.m.

@Jirong Hu, Thanks for reply. I understand that I need to perform BF upgrade in existing system and then point the database in New Box with BF V8 and then perform the Upgrade for CQ later. I am also doing the journey in your same boat. Wish me for safe journey in upgrading the Legacy tool. :)

permanent link
Naveen V (791357) | answered May 13 '16, 10:48 a.m.
 @Jirong Hu, I am thinking one more option. Can you please let me know its work based on your experience.

Currently I have BF V 7.1.3 with backend Oracle db. In this databases we also have JAZZ CLM application tablespace so One oracle db having BF and CLM tablespace. I don't want to mess up anything with existing database, which is there in Oracle so I am thinking to do following steps.

1) Setup BF V8 in new box with backend MS SQL 2012 ( Fresh installation )
2) Export the Project from old BF V 7.1.3 setup 
3) Import into new BF V8.x version. 

I don't have much projects in BF so I can export one project and import it. Does it work for me this way?

Thanks,

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.