It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

zimport utility - Endevor to RTC

VK L (8177155159) | asked Feb 27 '15, 5:31 a.m.
Hi All,
While migrating from Endevor to RTC, Is there any automated way to transfer the code+metadata?
zimport can import only 1 PDS - which would be the latest version from Endevor on z/os?

Please advise.

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Jorge Diaz (8664434) | answered Feb 27 '15, 7:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi VK,

deciding the versions to migrate is always a consideration when planing any SCM tool migration effort. You have to consider and plan for aspects like:

- How many versions do I need to move? IMHO, the least the last. So you can take this opportunity to just migrate what is really needed and do a little of house cleanup (the least the best). Try to avoid thinking of migration anything that ***might*** be needed.

- You have to also consider during the migration effort versions that are "on-fly" during the time, and how you are going to manage the overlapping period for migration, in which you are importing versions in the new RTC system, while in the old there is still work being done everyday.

Being said that, you can run the import several times for each baseline of versions you want to move, from the oldest version (first run), to the newest (last run). Note that you want to ultimately end up with validating your build process in your RTC streams with (1) your latest production versions and (2) any deltas that are to be consolidated from the development work.

Regards,

Jorge.

Comments
VK L commented Feb 27 '15, 7:37 a.m.

Thanks. I am looking at the methodology to use for this migration - Say, if i have decided to migrate latest 10 versions , so i have to first extract these from Endevor as PDS [10 PDS] and import using zimport 1-by-1?
Is this approach correct?Please advise

Jorge Diaz commented Feb 27 '15, 7:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, that sounds good to me.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.