It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Stop Defects with a Resolution of Duplicate from requiring a link

Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | asked Jan 21 '15, 6:10 p.m.
Create a Defect
Set required parameters
Save
Mark Defect as Closed and set Resolution to Duplicate
Save - error is generated:
"No duplicate work item specified, click here to choose one."

Setting resolution to Duplicate did not used to generate this error, thus we have plenty of older closed items in the backlog that have a Resolution of Duplicate with no Duplicate Of link. It is likely this started after an upgrade. This is causing a weird anomaly we would like to go away. When "Synchronize Attributes" is run, any Defects with a Resolution of Duplicate that do not also have a link of type Duplicate Of are automatically re-opened by the Synchronize Attributes routine! That's is pretty bad. I am going to file a defect for that. In the mean time, I wish to resolve this link requirement.

Workarounds would be:
1. For all closed Defects with Resolution of Duplicate, create a Link of type Duplicate and set it to a generic work item created for this purpose.
2. Stop RTC from requiring a link of type Duplicate Of when Resolution is set to Duplicate. I have checked the prerequisites and there is nothing requiring a link be set. This appears to be new standard behavior.

I am going to submit a request that IBM allow the admin to set this feature (or not) in the prerequisites section. Basically we want "Duplicate" to be handled the same as any other selection in the Resolution dropdown list. I suspect changing the word to "Dupe" or something other than the reserved word might work, or if not, creating a new selection called Duplicate might not trigger the same requirement, but I would prefer a simpler solution of just turning off the requirement. Before I file an enhancement request - does that already exist and I just don't know where it is?

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 21 '15, 6:17 p.m.
edited Jan 21 '15, 6:51 p.m.
the required link is hard coded, see
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/242467

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 21 '15, 6:47 p.m.

That's disappointing. Hopefully they will fix that eventually. I did file a defect for the Synchronize Attributes anomaly:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=343224

sam detweiler commented Jan 21 '15, 6:51 p.m.

don't hold your breath.. I opened that in 2012. and they have a really big backlog.

permanent link
Luis Peregrina (18114) | answered Mar 03 '15, 10:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Also, since it's hard-coded, you could just change the state's id.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.