It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Handle leak in JBE on Ubuntu

Charlie Surface (2623) | asked May 15 '09, 3:43 p.m.
Hi,

My team started using RTC 1.0.1.1 recently to do source code control, defect tracking, and builds. So far the integration is beautiful. Thanks to the Jazz team for a great product.

Unfortunately, we have a build engine running on a Ubuntu 8.04 box that gets the dreaded "Too many open files" errors once in a while, forcing us to regularly restart jbe. The problem always occurs during file fetching at the beginning of the build. Playing around with the lsof utility showed that jbe appears to be leaking handles for each build, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 each time.

I read the advice here https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JazzDevPitfalls and checked the linked defects 28447 and 19943, but neither of them seem to describe the leak I'm seeing. Bumping the handle limit is ok if the process needs a large number of handles for a short period of time. But it does not seem suitable if handles are being leaked.

Any advice you can give me? Upgrade my RTC version? Run cron to restart jbe every night ?

thanks,
Charlie

4 answers

permanent link
John Camelon (1.7k14) | answered May 19 '09, 11:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
csurface wrote:
Hi,

My team started using RTC 1.0.1.1 recently to do source code control,
defect tracking, and builds. So far the integration is beautiful.
Thanks to the Jazz team for a great product.

Unfortunately, we have a build engine running on a Ubuntu 8.04 box
that gets the dreaded "Too many open files" errors once in
a while, forcing us to regularly restart jbe. The problem always
occurs during file fetching at the beginning of the build. Playing
around with the lsof utility showed that jbe appears to be leaking
handles for each build, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 40
each time.

I read the advice here
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JazzDevPitfalls and checked the
linked defects 28447 and 19943, but neither of them seem to describe
the leak I'm seeing. Bumping the handle limit is ok if the process
needs a large number of handles for a short period of time. But it
does not seem suitable if handles are being leaked.

Any advice you can give me? Upgrade my RTC version? Run cron to
restart jbe every night ?

thanks,
Charlie

What version of java are you running?

permanent link
Charlie Surface (2623) | answered May 20 '09, 9:44 p.m.
Here's a little more info. I ruled out anything leaking in my build script by reproducing the problem against a simple build script with one target that only does an echo. Given that, I think there's an issue here that needs a defect. I'll post lsof output there in case it can help.

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered May 21 '09, 4:45 a.m.
Here's a little more info. I ruled out anything leaking in my build script by reproducing the problem against a simple build script with one target that only does an echo. Given that, I think there's an issue here that needs a defect. I'll post lsof output there in case it can help.

Hi can you post the output of ulimit -a ?
Thanks,

permanent link
Charlie Surface (2623) | answered May 21 '09, 8:09 p.m.
The issue is resolved. I opened the following defect:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=83855

There was a known leak in the JVM I was using. After a quick chat with one of the Jazz developers, I ended up downloading and installing the JVM from RTC 2.0 RC1.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.