It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

scheduled builds get out of memory (java heap space)

Eric Simpson (1632) | asked May 14 '09, 8:26 a.m.
edited Feb 19 '14, 11:10 a.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
For our scheduled builds, we have been encountering out of memory errors. I have specified -Xmx values in the build definition but it still fails. I have tried running the build at different times in case something else is happening on the build machine. It always fails during the same step.

But, if I submit a build (instead of a scheduled build), it always works. It does not get the out of memory error. This is on the same machine without even restarting the jbe right after it scheduled build failed.

I am running RTC 1011. The build machine is on Windows.

One answer

permanent link
Brian Gillan (3215330) | answered May 14 '09, 4:39 p.m.
We had a similar problem on AIX. Setting:

export ANT_OPTS=-Xmx1024m

Prior to running ANT seemed to fix it.

Brian

Comments
Frank Brewer commented Feb 14 '14, 3:43 p.m. | edited Feb 17 '14, 6:44 a.m.

Where in the build definition exactly did you enter "export ANT_OPTS=-Xmx1024m"?  I have tried serveral places and have not been successful.

Kevin Ramer commented Feb 19 '14, 11:18 a.m.

Brian was my "partner in crime" when he wrote his answer.   Our RTC builds were done using the ANT toolkit and the "export" was likely either in the login profile or the shell script that initiated the ant process.  

Perhaps JAVA_OPTS might be "automagically" interpreted by any java process so an export similar to above for ANT_OPTS might work.
If you're running via JBE there's likely a java command that launches the process just add the -Xmx  to the java command, I'd think.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.