It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Extracting data from multiple CLM instances and integrating it with another data warehouse

Anagha Gala (1133) | asked Nov 06 '14, 8:44 a.m.
Hi

I need help on extraction of CLM data from a large set of servers and projects. The scenario is like this - in our company, there is a set of CLM instances and many projects are expected to on-board on them. (CLM 5).
There is a global Quality Metrics system across all geographies which is used for reporting on the project metrics like schedule, defects etc. The metrics system needs to access the projects data which is across multiple instances of CLM. The Metrics system uses DataStage for ETL, DB2 for data warehouse and Cognos for reporting/Dashboards.

We are trying to investigate on a solution which can support integration of data across the CLM instances and the Metrics system. So far we have got an option to use JRS reports and use the Live Query feature through MS Excel.
i.e.
1. All CLM servers feed data to CLM Data warehouse.
2. JRS reports read from the CLM data warehouse, We create a Live data Excel sheet from the JRS report
3. We keep refreshing the Excel to get data on periodic basis
4. Transfer Excel data to Metrics DW through ETL.

However, there will be high volume of data and this may need multiple such excel files e.g one for tasks, one for defects etc. It is preferable to have an automated solution that does not need manual intervention and is supportable on Unix/AIX servers.

Is there any alternative solution possible? Can the JRS reports or the CLM warehouse be accessed using other mechanism ? I have heard that custom ETLs from CLM warehouse to Metrics warehouse is not a recommended solution since the tables structure may change across releases.

Any help in this is really appreciated.

thanks
Anagha

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.