It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Categories

Marc van Lint (852128) | asked Oct 03 '14, 3:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is there some documentation on categories definition, creation, maintenance? Categories are getting more and more important, I see several questions and yes some info in the infocenter/documentation. When you use single-level categories it's simple and straightforward. When defining sub-categories things gets more difficult.
Suppose you have a plain folder structure with tests in it (say a competitor does this). You want to get the same tree structure again in RQM. One level I can do, but next levels are harder.

Or to put it differently: Check out all types of car lighting (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting ). Assume for each type of light I have a set of tests. Which 'structure' of categories to define to filter and define tests quickly.

Goal should be to find a specific test quickly (not to build a tree structure because we are used to it).

Accepted answer

permanent link
Matthieu Leroux (6571614) | answered Oct 03 '14, 7:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Marc,

categories and sub-categories are defined per artifact type in the manage project properties page.
you need to think of sub categories as set of values that depend on the value selected in the parent category, in that sense, they can be shared / reused for several parent category values.
when a category

when you create the artifact, you select a value for the parent categories and the child category list is populated.
you leave the parent category as unassigned, but in this case the child category is populated with all possible values, however if you do intend to do like this, you may as well define it as a category and not sub category.

once artifacts are created, in the browse artifact page, you can use the filter by categories, you then see your categories in a tree view representation, what you see are the possible category values. when you select a sub category value, it will filter the artifacts that have the same parent(s), it takes the whole path as a filter, not only artifacts that have this sub category value since a sub category value can be added to several parents.

there is a good youtube video that explains the creation of the categories and sub categories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Oibj6X9A4

I hope this helps
Matthieu

Marc van Lint selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Marc van Lint (852128) | answered Oct 03 '14, 9:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you've helped me! I've documented my experience at http://business.vanlint5.nl/html2/rqm-categories.html
Main issue was that scroll bars were not visible on my laptop! And you pointed out the 'activation' (edit sub categories) of the values. Thanks!!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.