It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build repository workspace retrieves all stream components

Monica Luke (6335) | asked May 08 '09, 1:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Dec 12 '13, 2:54 p.m. by Evan Hughes (2.4k1318)
I created a repository workspace and specified only 2 of 6 components to be used for building.

But the requested build, retrieves all the components from the stream and modifies the list of components loaded by that workspace.

Tried setting up the repository workspace both by creating one directly and associating it with the Build Definition > Jazz Source Control and also be creating it directly from that location. Either way, the repository workspace specifies to load only two components, but when the build runs, all components are copied down.

Component load rules does not appear to be the required feature, since I do want all files from the specified components. Just don't want all components on the stream.

10 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 26 '09, 11:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The reply above, about how accept will add any incoming components, is correct. However, you can limit that by specifying a scoped flow. Open the workspace editor on the build workspace, select the flow target (i.e. your stream), press Edit..., choose 'Flow only components checked below', and chek the components you want to include.

However, this has the disadvantage that the snapshot created from the build workspace will not include the excluded components. You might want it to do this, even if they're not included in the build, to be able to later back-track to a consistent configuration.

Recent 2.0 builds include the ability to exclude certain components from being loaded during the build. So changes/components will still be accepted, but not all components will be loaded. See the 'Components to exclude' entry in the Load Options section of the Jazz Source Control tab in the build definition editor (just before 'Component load rules').

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered May 19 '09, 11:32 p.m.
If the build definition is set to accept all incoming changes then it will also load the other components as they will be marked as incoming additions. In our case we have 9 components and only need to load 3 for the build. I then added load rules on the other 6 to load only a specific directory (containing the load rule for the component) and no load rules for the other 3. The result is that the build engine only spends minimal time in loading the 6 components but loads everything on the 3 components required for the build.

ciao!

permanent link
Monica Luke (6335) | answered May 20 '09, 8:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for reply and the explanation actually makes some sense.

We have 4 components to build 3 different build targets. All three require a base component and each of the others requires a unique component.

So I had set up the workspace for each build to select the base component & one required component since that's all I need for that particular build.

So I'm thinking that creating component rules probably won't work for me but I'll give it a try.

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered May 21 '09, 2:44 a.m.
If I was in your position then I would use a single workspace, a single build engine and three different build definitions. Each definition will then have a different mix of load rules for the unique components.

Would that work?

ciao!

permanent link
Monica Luke (6335) | answered May 21 '09, 3:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am using a single build engine and three different build definitions. I like the idea of using a single workspace. I thought the load rules would be associated with the workspace, not the build definition. I hope to have some time next week to look at this.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 26 '09, 11:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also, it's not recommended to use the same build workspace for multiple build definitions. In particular, this can cause confusion in the resulting "included in build" links, since these are calculated based on when a change set is first accepted into the build workspace, not based on a delta from the previous build for the same definition.

permanent link
Monica Luke (6335) | answered May 26 '09, 12:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The reply above, about how accept will add any incoming components, is correct. However, you can limit that by specifying a scoped flow. Open the workspace editor on the build workspace, select the flow target (i.e. your stream), press Edit..., choose 'Flow only components checked below', and chek the components you want to include.

However, this has the disadvantage that the snapshot created from the build workspace will not include the excluded components. You might want it to do this, even if they're not included in the build, to be able to later back-track to a consistent configuration.

Recent 2.0 builds include the ability to exclude certain components from being loaded during the build. So changes/components will still be accepted, but not all components will be loaded. See the 'Components to exclude' entry in the Load Options section of the Jazz Source Control tab in the build definition editor (just before 'Component load rules').

This was exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for the solution.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 26 '09, 12:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
My pleasure. Which approach did you take: using a scoped flow, or the new 'Components to exclude' feature?

permanent link
Monica Luke (6335) | answered May 26 '09, 12:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
My pleasure. Which approach did you take: using a scoped flow, or the new 'Components to exclude' feature?

We're still using RTC 1.0.1.1 so the new feature is not available to us. I also don't think that the snapshot limitation is a concern for us. We would only need the desired components in the stream to recreate the environment so the fact that's all the snapshot grabs seems okay. So scoped flow is perfect. And much easier than figuring out the component load rules. I fixed four projects in less than 10 minutes :-)

I did make a note in my resolution comments, though, about the RTC 2.0 feature, so we might make use of it after we upgrade.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 26 '09, 1:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Good to know, thanks for clarifying.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.